Fossil
    Aug 2005

Commuter light quandary

I've canceled my car insurance and in turn committed myself to being a bicycle commuter year round. In light of this I've decided to purchase a quality light. I've been using the planet bike beamer 5 for the last year or so as a fair weather commuter but I'm looking for more wattage now. My price range is anywhere from cheap ($30.00) to about $300.00. Lights that I've looked at are the princeton switchback 1.0 and 2.0 the Minewt X2, Topeak White Light, the Light and Motion Vega, and the BLT Ozone 21ne. I want it bright but my apprehension with the more powerful lights is that they'll be too hot to throw in my backpack immediately after taking the light off the bike. My apprehension with the cheaper lights is implicit, I'm worried they wont be a remarkable improvement over the beamer. The Minewt's mounting system seems to be awkward, especially in winter and it seems likely to break. Nonetheless, any recommendations or input on these lights would be great. Thanks in advance!
    "Quelle vérité que ces montagnes bornent, qui est mensonge qui se tient au delà?

-Michel de Montaigne

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bike supremacist
    I've canceled my car insurance and in turn committed myself to being a bicycle commuter year round. In light of this I've decided to purchase a quality light. I've been using the planet bike beamer 5 for the last year or so as a fair weather commuter but I'm looking for more wattage now. My price range is anywhere from cheap ($30.00) to about $300.00. Lights that I've looked at are the princeton switchback 1.0 and 2.0 the Minewt X2, Topeak White Light, the Light and Motion Vega, and the BLT Ozone 21ne. I want it bright but my apprehension with the more powerful lights is that they'll be too hot to throw in my backpack immediately after taking the light off the bike. My apprehension with the cheaper lights is implicit, I'm worried they wont be a remarkable improvement over the beamer. The Minewt's mounting system seems to be awkward, especially in winter and it seems likely to break. Nonetheless, any recommendations or input on these lights would be great. Thanks in advance!
    Congrats on dumping the car.
    I recently picked up a new Light & Motion Arc HID on Ebay for less than $280. It's as bright as everyone says it is and at this point I can't see why I would need anything brighter for commuting. Any brighter and I will be blinding the drivers. I keep this light on my bike so it never gets thrown into a backpack, but it does seem to run cooler than my older 15W halogen. Removing it and the battery from the bike frame is a bit more hassle than I was used to, so if this convenience is a priority, then maybe this one isn't for you.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I like my Beamer and it serves me well in almost all my riding...when I need more light (ie. off roading / commuting in the dark) I use a Nighthawk 10w mounted to my bars that I run on rechargeable batteries.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I use a Dinotte Tail Light that flashes red - it's blindingly bright and I get comments almost daily from other cyclists who have to know what it is so they can buy one. Up front I use Ay-Up LED lights - handlebar and helmet. Solid beams but really bright - you can ride firetrails/singletrack at pace - no probs. It's a super commuter setup - if you want to be seen it's hard to beat. The whole setup probably costs $420 or so but your life is worth it.

HillBilly.