mtbr member

Comments on driver

I'm thinking about making a rear light using an old XR-E led I have kicking around. It doesn't need to be overly bright, so I was thinking about using a 350mA driver (like Troutie in a recent thread) and saw these on Kaidomain. However, I want the light to be switchless and to switch it on by connecting the battery (single 18650 in holder). Would that work?

mtbr member
    My tailights which have the AC/DC 12 volt circa 400 mA DX drivers are plug/unplug and no switch. I like it. Nice and simple. Less to break.

We all are good at spending other people's money, but I wondered if you were aware of the buck/boost of these?

Before I hit on the cheap MR16 bulbs that I could mod for MR11 housings, I was thinking along the same lines but with XR-E red-orange LEDs. I found this micropuck an intriguing possibility. Of course, I bought both MR16 red bulbs for less than one buckpuck, let alone the XP-E's and optics.

mtbr member
    Thanks Brian, that micropuck does sound interesting, little on the spendy side for a cheap light though, particularly with Cutter's p+p to the US

So, do you think there'd be any issue using a generic 7135 driver without a switch? Never built a light with one so I'm kinda floating in the dark (so to speak!).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There won't be any problems using a generic 7135 based driver without the switch. Using the switch is just as same as using the plug to supply the power. The only difference there is, you might lose some of the power because of the switch.

mtbr member
    May 2005

meep meep !!!
    I used of these to make my current back light.

Only around one pound fifty more than than your item & includes red P4 led, reflector, pill & single mode driver as well. All you have to do is disassemble it & decant into the housing of your choice.

Apply power & no motorist approaching from behind will not notice you (they usually give a wide berth). Disconnect the power & you become invisible again.

Works like a charm; every time.

mtbr member
    thanks for the help everyone! If I'd known about the micropuck at digikey (thanks vancbiker) before my last order shipped I probably would bought that, but shipping will take it to twice the price (and I'm having to be super tight atm ).

That pill looks great Road Runner and I'd have jumped on it if I didn't already have an LED+wide angle optic.

I'll order those drivers and post a build report once it's done. Along with my XP-G+Regina front light I'm building I don't think I'll be easily missed