mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Colored LED for night recognition.

I was thinking about rigging up some colored LEDs, something like would be in a keychain, or behind a faceplate on a piece of audio equipment, and putting them on the top of my fork legs so that other friends can tell it is me when ridding dark trails. I am still new to the DIY lighting thing, so I dont really know what it would take to do this.

Can it be done with just two LEDs, a switch, some wire and a battery, or would you need a driver for it too? Also, would a watch battery work for something like this?

mtbr member
    Hi e39, good idea. Ive seen a few folks use something like this:

http://www.blinkers.co.uk/blinkers-products.asp

Highly visible even at long distance!

If you go the diy route, you could use some 3mm leds and depending on the supply voltage you may only need a series reistor, no driver needed.

If you google "led series resistor calculator" you should come up trumps

hope this helps

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks bumphumper, there was a lot of info from in that search. I guess once I pick an LED, then I can use the calculator.

Is there a certain name for this type of LED? I am not having any luck finding them on DX.

Also, I wonder if blue LEDs are illegal in the US?

Lets RIDE!
    I would guess you want the 3mm or 5mm LEDs. I haven't come across them at DX, but RadioShack has a pile of them. The "MCD" number is a measure of brightness.

I don't think a single tiny blue LED is going to bother anyone, but if you'll be riding roads with it, a call to the local police station would answer that question. I have heard of people being stopped for having blue accent lights on their cars.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

Carbon8er
    Here's what you need baby!!!!
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23490

You would be the envy of all you meet

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Well, I went to RadioShack, and bought some green LEDs. I wanted to try one, so I took the bulb out of my Mini Maglight, and inserted an LED, and the stupid things are yellow. They had three different types of green LEDs, so I guess I will try some different ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e39-540i
    Well, I went to RadioShack, and bought some green LEDs. I wanted to try one, so I took the bulb out of my Mini Maglight, and inserted an LED, and the stupid things are yellow. They had three different types of green LEDs, so I guess I will try some different ones.
    If you put too much juice through a green led they do go yellow in colour. Do you have a multimeter? Set it to continuity, then touch the leads to the legs of the led. It should light up, albeit a bit dimmer.

Members who have read this thread: 0