mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Clueless on batteries... but...

I want to make my own bike light (just got my first proper mountain bike a few weeks back) but I have never heard of the batteries you guys are using = 18650 something

so... if i make my own Cree XM_L light, can I power it with these kind of batteries since I have lots as I fly rc helis
    LiPo, LiFe, NiMH Battery>Turnigy Lipoly
    Cannondale Flash 1 Alloy (May 01 2013)
    Cube LTD Pro 2012 16" on it's way (Nov 25 2012 Ordered)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Read up on LiPo safety if you want to use them riding. If you puncture them, it's bad.

18650 lithium ion batteries might be a bit safer, but still need respect.

Lots of good information on the board here -- it just takes a while to get through it.
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use turnigy batterys. I just use them with a taskled.com flex driver so they do not get over discharged. I also put them in my pack or a hard plastic container in case of an impact. A good balance charger takes good care of the cells.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    For the first few years I exclusively used the battery packs from my RC helicopters. I just made sure that I used the taskled drivers with voltage indication so I didn't discharge the packs too far and cause myself or the packs any problems. Never had any problems with them

Even used the 6s packs from my Trex 500 in a few builds but had to ensure that I set the charging voltage cutoff a little lower to match the Vin maximum of the drivers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Excellent! Thanks.
    I only have 3s and 6s batteries now (got 2 3s batteries from my now sold 450 pro and some 6s 5000 for my trex 550 but I'm guessing they'll be too big to take out riding)

I won't be doing hard trails anyway - the light will be mainly for on road use commuting from home to work and the occassional saturday morning bike ride for cloudy/foggy days.

I only have cheap drivers that I just bought from DX. I was going to use a voltage alarm anyway but also recharge the batteries after it's use every time (I have a decent lipo charger)

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Meant to say I used to use a voltage alarm. Scares the crap out of you when it comes on given how loud the little buggers are

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ^^Haha! True! I got elecrical tape over the beepers to dampen the sound!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Can you guys pls link me to a good taskled driver you're using? i went on their main site but i have no idea which one to use?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Muscleflex View Post
    Can you guys pls link me to a good taskled driver you're using? i went on their main site but i have no idea which one to use?

There are many options depending on how many LEDs you want and what the max current to the LEDs you want is. All the micro chip controlled multi level options with programable cut out voltage and voltage warning have flex in the title. With a 3 cell pack you can use a B-flex to power 2 or 1 typical Led. This is because Bflex is a step down converter. With maxflex you would need 4 or 5 led because it is a step up converter.

So buck or step down means safe operation with number of cells- 1=max number of Led that can be run.

Boost or step up means number of battery cells in series +1= minimum number or Leds safe to run in series.

I would never run just a voltage alarm as my brother did this and then forgot the alarm and discharged a 3 cell turnigy pack all the way to 1V per cell and the thing looked like a balloon. I use only flex drivers and no voltage alarm and because of the low current draw of a light compared with any RC the packs I use stay balanced well. Of course I do balance charge.