Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

christmas present help needed!

900 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Flyer 
#1 ·
i'm in a similar situation to prayer wrt to the 250.00 light question, but didn't want to hijack his thread and i have some different questions.

i'm going to get a headlight for my brother for xmas and i am going to keep it around 250 or so. he won't use it alot, i'm guessing, but he will commute home from downtown portland across the river on generally well lit roads, and take it up to the park on mt. tabor (dormant volcano in portland) and do laps in the evening. if i can get him out for some 3 hr night rides, we'll be fine with both of our lights, but i can't see it happening too often.

i'm considering the dinotte 200L 2c. i recently purchased a 600L and taillight combo and i really like it so far. if he needs more light he can always get another light engine and be running ~400 lumens. i like the modular nature of dinotte's stuff, and think that it would be a good place to start. would it be enough light for what i have described?

i'm also looking at the trinewt x2 dual. i'm leery because of the limited runtimes, but i've read good things about the quality of the light. is it easy or even possible to upgrade the battery at a later date?

the light & motion solo logic seems like a great light for the price, and plenty bright @ ~400 lumens and good runtimes. after getting my first led setup, i sort of feel that this is destined to be antiquated stuff pretty soon, and would rather get something more sturdy for him. am i thinking about this the wrong way if he stays mainly on the road?

the cygolite dual cross pro nimh or li-on. i really know nothing about these lights other than reviews here and elsewhere which mainly seem positive. i'm a bit baffled by their lack of lumen measurements for their products. they are posted as "bright as a 25 watt halogen" or something similar. if that is true, then they are fairly bright, have good runtimes compared to those mentioned above. what's the deal with these lights? too good to be true?

i'm really torn, and would appreciate any insight, experience, or perspective you may be able to offer. thanks alot!

-matt

See less See more
#2 ·
the first good thing if you buy the Dinotte 200L is that you can exchange batteries with him in case of a long ride, dead battery or whatever....
The second positive thing is what you mention, he could get a light engine and run a second 200L
The third and most important one is that if you buy him the 200L and he doesn't ride much, you can always steal it from him:D
Or he could steal your 600 :skep: :confused:

#3 ·
BBW said:
the first good thing if you buy the Dinotte 200L is that you can exchange batteries with him in case of a long ride, dead battery or whatever....
The second positive thing is what you mention, he could get a light engine and run a second 200L
The third and most important one is that if you buy him the 200L and he doesn't ride much, you can always steal it from him:D
Or he could steal your 600 :skep: :confused:
Dude, that's pretty f 'ed up that you would even think of stealing.

#6 ·
At $250, I seem to always gravitate towards the Jet Phantom. The 22 watt light is really very bright and wide. Their lights are incrdibly reliable and I realize they are not LEDs but are far brighter than many. I believe the "raw" lumen count is 780 for the 22 watt bulb and maybe 480 for the 12 or 14 watt bulb.

The NR Minewt is also a good one but I'm personally not a fan of NR products. I like the light brightness and the beam pattern of the Minewt. You may be able to get a dual Minewt setup for less than $250. What scares me away is their consistent ability to have charger and switch problems. They have had one issue with the Trinewt and while the good ones do last, there are many, many, stories and reviews about lights shutting off mid-ride and having to be sent back.

Obviously, this may not happen to you and the light quality of their LED lights is a lot better than their HIDs. While thier CS reps are pretty ignorant, their actual customer sevice is quite decent and they will replace or fix things quickly. I have "tested" their CS reps a few times and was pretty amazed at the lack of product knowledge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.