Me ride.
    Oct 2009

Idea! Christmas lights on bikes?

Every Christmas my city has a "neighborhood bike ride" wherein riders wear festive costumes and decorate their bikes in holiday-themed motifs.
    I'd like to join in this year and light up my bike.
    Anyone have experience Macguyvering Christmas lights on their bike?
    References to websites would be helpful.
    If you've done this before, how easy/hard was it?

Light freak
    search for battery operated Christmas lights

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm curious about how I can use my MagicShine battery pack (8.4V ? @ 4.4ah)

I imagine that I can rewire the lights so 3 2.5V lights are in series and the multiple series could be parallel.

Anybody tried hooking up a 12v to AC inverter to a 8.4V battery? What about 2 8.4V in series?

I have minimal knowledge of electronics, so first off, please chime in if you know that any of these ideas will lead to my battery exploding, etc.

EDIT: rather than buying battery powered xmas lights, I would like to use some of my many strands of xmas lights and my several lithium battery packs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I used two strands of battery operated christmas lights last year on my hardtail. Mine were LED strands powered by 4 AA batteries each. They all lasted our entire christmas ride, which was over 4 hours.

Got mine at the local Target.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    I'm curious about how I can use my MagicShine battery pack (8.4V ? @ 4.4ah)

I imagine that I can rewire the lights so 3 2.5V lights are in series and the multiple series could be parallel.

Anybody tried hooking up a 12v to AC inverter to a 8.4V battery? What about 2 8.4V in series?

I have minimal knowledge of electronics, so first off, please chime in if you know that any of these ideas will lead to my battery exploding, etc.

EDIT: rather than buying battery powered xmas lights, I would like to use some of my many strands of xmas lights and my several lithium battery packs.
    Is there a small enough inverter to carry around comfortably? In my experience those have always been rather large and also give off a lot of heat when under load.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    its small enough, but yeah probably not too efficient as it even has a fan built in!

battery powered from the factory is certainly the easiest way to go. maybe I'll just try hooking the battery up to the ac prongs and see what happens