turtles make me hot

Chinese Light Battery Packs

One of my friends bought two of the chinese 1200 lumen lights. The other night, his helmet light took a dump.
    I took the light home, cut the shrinkwrap off and checked everything out with a meter.
    The batteries are fine. That little PC board that reduces the voltage is bad. Zero volts are coming through it.
    We went on Amazon to get a replacement pack and couldn't get free shipping unless we spent 50 bucks, so he bought another whole light AND a spare battery.
    Anyway, does anyone know how to spec the correct protection board so the old battery pack can still be utilized?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I assume it's a 7.4v pack.
    Here's a PCM board for under $7 with free shipping.
    Protection Circuit: Li-ion/Li-Po Battery Pack 7.4V 8.4V | eBay

from our friend Hunk Lee at A-OK battery. If the link gets removed, just look up Hunk Lee PCM.

Mind you, the batteries from the cheapo light may also be rejects from computers etc. A-OK also sells inexpensive protected battery packs with PCMs using decent Sanyo cells.

No financial interest Yada Yada.

turtles make me hot
    Thanks, Dude.
    Exactly what I'm looking for.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    One of my friends bought two of the chinese 1200 lumen lights. The other night, his helmet light took a dump.
    I took the light home, cut the shrinkwrap off and checked everything out with a meter.
    The batteries are fine. That little PC board that reduces the voltage is bad. Zero volts are coming through it.
    We went on Amazon to get a replacement pack and couldn't get free shipping unless we spent 50 bucks, so he bought another whole light AND a spare battery.
    Anyway, does anyone know how to spec the correct protection board so the old battery pack can still be utilized?
    Since you didn't mention it, did you take the battery home first and plug it into the charger to see if that would reset the battery PCB? Not unusual for the battery to read zero volts if the PCB was tripped. Plugging it into the charger will reset the PCB and it should work as before. Now if you did all that before tearing into the battery than never mind.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Since you didn't mention it, did you take the battery home first and plug it into the charger to see if that would reset the battery PCB? Not unusual for the battery to read zero volts if the PCB was tripped. Plugging it into the charger will reset the PCB and it should work as before. Now if you did all that before tearing into the battery than never mind.
    I did not... Thanks. Now I know to do it next time...
    I was getting 7 volts from the batteries before the PCB, so of course I assumed the PCB was bad.
    I like turtles