Dinner for wolves

chemical enhancement

Has anyone here experimented with pupil dilating.eyedrops as a means of enhancing their night vision while riding in the dark? It seems like an obvious adjunct and an alternative to the lumens race.
    Responds to gravity

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Yes, it works really well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    Has anyone here experimented with pupil dilating.eyedrops as a means of enhancing their night vision while riding in the dark? It seems like an obvious adjunct and an alternative to the lumens race.

Ummmm.....eyedrops or the old-fashioned smoke-able alternative. Naaah...too easy just to punch the high beam button.

nocturnal oblivion
    Eat buttons before riding? It'd take forever to get down the trail. Wait...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Wow...then when you go head on with a group of MagicShiners...you go blind!

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    I was thinking abotu riding with some genIII NVG's...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Best of all if you knock yourself out while riding and emergency services finds you with fixed and dilated pupils they will assume cranial pressure/hemorrhage and the doctors will consider drilling a hole in your head to attempt to reduce the pressure .
    Dilation will increase light entering the eye, but its light focused centrally that means to most to seeing.
    The large pupil will let light come in more defocused and will cause halos and streaks around lights and reflective surfaces.
    BTW
    OTC meds like Visine, Naphcon, and Optcon will cause mild to moderate dilation if over used.

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    I suggest you just stare into the brightest light you have for as long as you can. This way you can capture the photons for later use. Then you won't have to rely on the light as much.

The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Dinner for wolves
    I'm sensing the collective answer to my question is "no, never tried it." There is no need to fear the pharmaceuticals. I think I'm going to have to give it a go. You would lose the ability to focus tightly on objects that were very close, but stuff beyond arm's reach would be fine. Peyote would be great, but it is so damn hard to find in these parts.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    I have not tried it at night. But as a person with extreme near sightedness (legally blind without corrective lenses) I have to put up with the dilation drops for glaucoma testing annually. I pray for a cloudy day. Nothing is in focus. It is sort of like looking through the bottom of a glass with a thin coating of milk on it or like a very thick coating of dust on the glasses but way brighter. You get the impresion of too much light from the sides. There are ring effects and I find my motion sensitivity gives me a dizzy sensation if I move my head quickly. I do drive after sitting a few minutes, but only straight home, 2 miles. The middle of the day is very light traffic, but I am pushing the edge of being able to see well enough to be safe driving. Now I assume they put a largish dose in since it takes about one to two hours to fully dissipate. Too bad he doesn't do night appointments, or I could have helped you more.

Combining the vision alteration with anything that impairs coordination and good decision making sounds like a good way to die with a smile on your face.

"Hey man what a nice cliff,, it's like flyin'...you ought to try this man..Oh ShSPLAT."

Take care. And maybe a buddy good in first aid.

Lets RIDE!
    Wow, we have a 3rd option now. We used to adjust our speed to match our lights. Then the technology improved....we adjusted our lights to match our speed. Now we can adjust our eyes!?

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    We haven't even touched on night vision equipment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I would say it's not a good idea for two reasons.

First it paralyzes both the muscles that control the iris and the ones that focus the lens. The combined effect makes close focusing impossible while the drug is in effect for those with normal vision. If you are near sighted then this part is not as much of an issue.

Second is what happens when your riding buddy blasts you with his super bright LED lights. Normally your iris shrinks to protect your retina. With all the blue light this is even more important. Blue light is literally toxic and a wide open iris magnifies the effect. With a wide open iris your night vision will get blow out even more when your riding buddy blasts you with his lights.

I wouldn't do it.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vroom9
    I would say it's not a good idea for two reasons.

First it paralyzes both the muscles that control the iris and the ones that focus the lens. The combined effect makes close focusing impossible while the drug is in effect for those with normal vision. If you are near sighted then this part is not as much of an issue.

Second is what happens when your riding buddy blasts you with his super bright LED lights. Normally your iris shrinks to protect your retina. With all the blue light this is even more important. Blue light is literally toxic and a wide open iris magnifies the effect. With a wide open iris your night vision will get blow out even more when your riding buddy blasts you with his lights.

I wouldn't do it.
    Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks a bunch!

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    I suggest you just stare into the brightest light you have for as long as you can. This way you can capture the photons for later use. Then you won't have to rely on the light as much.

+1

I don't even own a light. I just stare at the sun with my left eye for about 1 hr a day, then wear an aluminum foil eye patch, because it reflect any photons I accidentally let escape right back into my eye, then at night I just take the eye patch off and I can see everything. I never go over an hour though, because when I do I find that my left eye actually emits a detectable amount of photons in the dark, which makes it easier for vampires to find me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    We haven't even touched on night vision equipment.
    Oh I've thought of that before but NV equipment is VERY expensive not to mention bulky and heavy. Maybe someday the technology will advance where you can just wear a pair of normal looking glasses that do the trick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Oh I've thought of that before but NV equipment is VERY expensive not to mention bulky and heavy. Maybe someday the technology will advance where you can just wear a pair of normal looking glasses that do the trick.
    Thought the same. Discovered the same. Just had to drop it in to a discussion on vision enhancement. Jordi's eyewear in STNG isn't quite here...yet.