mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Cateye Double Shot

I've got both the Double and Triple shot lights and over the last month the Double shot starts flashing on and off after about 5 minutes of usage. If I turn it off for a while its OK and then starts flashing again and I can't get the flashing to stop.

I've swapped batteries over from one unit to the other, and both batteries are working well and holding charge.
    It only happens on the Double Shot - has anyone experienced this problem ???

I'd appreciate any help - these were expensive lights and I'm disappointed this is happening.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger9
    I've got both the Double and Triple shot lights and over the last month the Double shot starts flashing on and off after about 5 minutes of usage. If I turn it off for a while its OK and then starts flashing again and I can't get the flashing to stop.

I've swapped batteries over from one unit to the other, and both batteries are working well and holding charge.
    It only happens on the Double Shot - has anyone experienced this problem ???

I'd appreciate any help - these were expensive lights and I'm disappointed this is happening.
    Sounds like a loose connection. Have you called CatEye? Is it under warranty?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

My Rusty Knee
    the flash if fast and regulr might be that it thinks the bat is low. when it was new and you charged it, did it say it was charged really quick? and if so did you put it back on charge like it says in the manual? if so...have yoiu tried this trick again? i have had to do this a couple of times.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Flashing Double Shot

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've had the light for over a year and this problem only started a month or so ago.

I'm pretty sure there is no connection problem as I've played around with the cable and connector while it has been flashing and it has had no impact.

I did contact Cateye (on the net) and they simply sent me a link to their web site about the issue of how to charge the battery, particularly when it starts flashing soon after start of charging.
    I'll give this another go, but doubt it's the cause as the same battery works fine on my Triple Shot - I'm lucky enough to have 2 lights so I can eliminate some variables.

I'll post the results. As the light is over 12 months old I'm not sure about warranty but I'm not happy I've spent this much money and now have a dud.

We'll see !!!!!!!

My Rusty Knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger9
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I've had the light for over a year and this problem only started a month or so ago.

I'm pretty sure there is no connection problem as I've played around with the cable and connector while it has been flashing and it has had no impact.

I did contact Cateye (on the net) and they simply sent me a link to their web site about the issue of how to charge the battery, particularly when it starts flashing soon after start of charging.
    I'll give this another go, but doubt it's the cause as the same battery works fine on my Triple Shot - I'm lucky enough to have 2 lights so I can eliminate some variables.

I'll post the results. As the light is over 12 months old I'm not sure about warranty but I'm not happy I've spent this much money and now have a dud.

We'll see !!!!!!!
    I am not completely sure the triple and double bats are the same. i have had my double flash early when using the triple battery on it. Its something I have been meaning to investigate. if you have the triple, does the triple flash early on the same battery? the controller is built int o the battery pack.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I gave the battery a really good charge last night and this morning it went for about 30mins before it once again started flashing.

When I got home I put the triple shot onto the same battery and had no problem at all - left it on for an hour +, so I'm sure the battery is OK.

I'll check when I get home if there is any noticeable difference between the 2 batteries and I'll try the other battery to see what happens.

Thanks for the input

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Outcome

Stuart

Thanks for the support. I tried swapping the batteries and one battery definitely works well with both lights but the other battery seems to only work properly with the Triple - when I used this battery with the double, the light started flashing.

I had a good look at the batteries and really can't see any difference between the 2 - it must be in the regulator. To be on the safe side I have now put a very clear label on the battery for each light so I don't muddle them up in the future.

A frustrating exercise and I still don't know why the batteries would be different (or even if they really are) but while it continues to work I'm a happy man.