mtbr member

Carrs Metal Black for Aluminium

Anybody tried this on there ali housings?
    You just just keep working it into the metal, it creates a black oxidized layer.

Might give this a go as it's only 5 a pot.

In simple terms , Metal Blackening involves the replacement of a surface skin of base metal by a selenium compound. Please note the term "base metal", - this means exactly what it says. If you try to blacken metals that are oxidised , greasy and spotted with etch resist you will experience disappointing results. Blackening is carried out for a variety of reasons. Modellers mainly use it for giving rail,wheels,buffers,coupling rods etc a permanent work,worn or rusty look , where paint would hide delicate details or rub off. Brass is notoriously difficult to paint and blackening beforehand not only gives a slightly better key to the paint but when it does chip off you do not see bright spots of unpainted brass showing.

There are different types of Metal Black and each works on a particular metal to produce a black or brown patina. Although types are named after common metals,brass,nickel silver,whitemetal,solder & aluminium , some are better than others on different metals.

mtbr member
    sounds interesting. I tried etching then painting aluminium for my last light and the results were disappointing to say the least. However, leaving the alloy bare means I can't use my black cast off heatsinks without my lights looking even more ghetto, so I'd be interested to hear how you get on if you give it a go.

mtbr member
    Here's a pic from the birchwood site of ali that has had the black treatment

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That looks good stuff GD. If it makes aluminium as black as that it looks like an interesting alternative to anodising. Be interested to know how you get on if you try it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Very interesting. Will search in my town.
    Sorry for my eNgLisH )

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Is there a place to purchase this in the US?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fujio001
    Is there a place to purchase this in the US?
    Try a modeling shop that sells model trains..or a shop that sells metal working tools..mills, lathes etc.

I cant find carrs with google in the US, but you could try this
    http://www.micromark.com/Blacken-It-4-Fl-Oz,7267.html

I would also give the Birchwood casey aluminium black a try..readily available in the US. Most Gun shops sell it.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=707229
    Last edited by Goldigger; 02-07-2011 at 02:26 AM.