mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Idea! Can't stop building

I tried a few new things with this build.

i used 2700K warm color LED's
    i intergraded a wireless remote.

The 2700K LED's are yellow/red tint very different than than the cool white LED lights everyone seems to use. The warm light seems to give me better contrast of the terrain and is much gentler to my eyes. The warm light works very well snow covered trails no glare or hot spots.

The remote works well, the components (receiver board, voltage regulator and relay) takes up a fair amount space in the housing. i used a another transmitter that i ran wires out of to a small switch mounted near the grip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can't stop building-fullsizerender-5.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice to see a new build!

Details please. Components used, wiring configuration, etc.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I used a TaskLED driver board that only needs momentary switch to operate. i obtained the reciever and transmitter from Adafruit.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1096

The board input voltage is 5 to 10VDC. because i use 14.8 volt battery i used a LM7805 voltage regulator power the board with 5 volts. When the board is triggered it outputs 5 volts but is only can source ~10 milliamps. I connected a 5 volt reed relay that has 500 ohm input resistance to the receiver board. The relay output (contacts) are connected to LED driver switch inputs.

The light also has a momentary switch in the housing wired in parallel to remote circuit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Very nice. The link to an adafruit part is quite helpful. I had tried to build a wireless remote but could not get it working mostly due to ordering two different receiver boards that both turn out to not be momentary contact.

I have always liked the profile of a bar form factor on a helmet.

Are those 10mm square optics. I am considering a rebuild of an old light of mine that uses the 10mm square ledil or carclo optics.
    I have 6 cree xq-e leds to try out. They should make an honest 10 degree beam according to data sheets.

I also use 4 cell LiIon batteries.

Did you end up wiring the 6 leds as 3S2P that is to say two strings of three in parallel.
    This is the configuration I am thinking of using with a taskled b3flex.

Keep building

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The optics are carclo spot on cree XP-G LED's. That results in a beam that is wider than with XP-E LED's that i built years ago. I used a Taskled HBflex boost driver with the six LED's wired in series.
    Im getting a lot of positive comments from other riders about color and beam.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjay View Post
    .....Are those 10mm square optics. I am considering a rebuild of an old light of mine that uses the 10mm square ledil or carclo optics.
    I have 6 cree xq-e leds to try out. They should make an honest 10 degree beam according to data sheets.
    I look forward to hearing how that XQ-E and 10mm optic combo works out. I never much cared for the XP-G and 10mm optic combo as it was too much of a flood for my preference and did not reach beyond ~80 feet and it did not seem like an XP-E would tighten it up enough to warrant a build. I do like the 10mm form factor though for the tiny lights one can build with them.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    How are the warm tints working? On the road I have found the cooler tints (5K) really highlight glass fragments and street signs and the yellower flatten out things out. On the trail it must be better for vegetation and dirt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sheatrock View Post
    I tried a few new things with this build.

i used 2700K warm color LED's
    i intergraded a wireless remote.

The 2700K LED's are yellow/red tint very different than than the cool white LED lights everyone seems to use. The warm light seems to give me better contrast of the terrain and is much gentler to my eyes. The warm light works very well snow covered trails no glare or hot spots.

The remote works well, the components (receiver board, voltage regulator and relay) takes up a fair amount space in the housing. i used a another transmitter that i ran wires out of to a small switch mounted near the grip
    Nice build you have there.