mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Can I upgrade my Switchback 2 with Crees?

Hi all
    Would it be poss. to upgrade a Princeton SB 2 with some of the newer Cree emmitteres ?
    I know NIL about watts , Ohms or Amps , but I know how to use my hands.
    After reading a lot o posts here and elsewhere I got thinking that it would be an easy job to order 2 Crees emitters to replace the Luxeons it has now.
    Is it possible ?
    Cheers Caspar

Do It Yourself
    It's easier to replace with Seoul P4s because they use similar optics. I did this for my Cateye Double Shot, modding with the SSC U-bin emitters from Kaidomain and it made a world of difference. It's easily 2 to 3 times as bright with the same run time.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have wondered the same thing!! Homebrew, I hope you are right. I may do it before the season starts here in New England.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, I just did the upgrade to Seoul P4s in my PT Switchback 2 and there is a difference. I took some b4 and after shots but in a small room it is hard to see a big difference. For the price and the ease of doing the mod, I am grateful that I finally took the step. Thanks to all who have been an inspiration in light mods and DIY.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How easy is this upgrade to do? Are we talking just swapping out some emitters with a few soldering steps, or is this a bigger deal?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    All I did was swap out the led's. It was a matter of unsoldering the old ones and soldering in the new ones. You need to make sure that the heat sink paste is in good shape. I just scraped it off the old ones and put it on the new ones and made sure they lined up right. You need to make sure of the + and - polarities. Not sure how it went, but there are pics on the net if you look. All in all a very worthy upgrade and I have been using mine just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice. Thanks King.

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1636

What effect has this had on the battery life? Do you use this light by itself or with another?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I use this light exclusively on the bars now and I actually am using a fenix flashlight on the helmet. It works fantastic. The battery seems to drain faster, but I can still get a few hours of night riding in with it. That does look like the emitter led

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DesignGuy96
    Nice. Thanks King.

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1636

What effect has this had on the battery life? Do you use this light by itself or with another?

Thanks
    Can't get the link to work so can't check the LED.
    Just wanted to add that you should get the U bin version of the Seoul P4 and not the T bin. DealExtreme do them at a good price, I've had quite a few from them and they work fine, nice and bright and white(not too blue or yellow just white).