Team Livemedium

Can I resurrect cheapo china light?

Hello, I accidentally killed (mostly) a new cheapo cree led by plugging it into some older cheapo cree batteries to check cross compatibility. Now it is barely bright or fairly dim. Sucks because my old ones were compatible and I could just bring an extra battery. Not sure if the positive and neg poles were reversed. My old ones are maybe 3 yrs old and the newer one is from last spring. Can't believe it got toasted just from trying other battery packs. Is this an easy fix, or just cough up another $30? Thanks. And yes I searched first.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Most likely a voltage mis-match. Reverse polarity can also kill it as most cheapy drivers drivers do not have reverse polarity protection. Depending on the light, you might find a compatible replacement driver at DX or KD or other cheap Chinese source. A good driver will cost you ~$30 so not likely worth it to do that.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Team Livemedium
    Thanks for the insight. Yeah I messed around with a multimeter and the old batteries were like 7.960 dcv and the new one was like 3.840 or so dcv. So does that mean something got toasted the second I plugged in the different battery? What would it be? It's interesting to know the older version ran on more power and the newer version runs on half that. I figured they all would be cross compatible battery wise if same lumens. Best to check these things first I guess. Live and learn. I only toasted a $25 light thank god.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you would tell us more about light we might help you more. Some links where you purchase it or pictures would be even better. There might be solution to get it worked again. Well, if you want to bother with it anyway.

mtbr member
    It's hard to go for a fix when the light is only $30, unless you want to make it a better light. You'll get a better UI with a quality driver, more power options, reverse polarity and overheat protection, etc. If the lamp has a beam you like, I'd say the cost of a good driver being the same as a new light would make it worth having a better light Vs the same light.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!