Randomhead
    Sep 2008

building a new Dyno triple headlight -- XPE or XPG?

now that I've gotten a year out of my triple XPE, I want to build a new version that looks a little better. My understanding is if I use the 10507 triple with the XPG, I get a little more spread. I'm not sure this is what I want, even though I should get a little more light total.

Any comments?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    now that I've gotten a year out of my triple XPE, I want to build a new version that looks a little better. My understanding is if I use the 10507 triple with the XPG, I get a little more spread. I'm not sure this is what I want, even though I should get a little more light total.

Any comments?
    The triple with XPE is 16 deg, too wide for the road and ok for the trail.
    With XPG its over 20 deg and too wide for both.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    so I'm really better off with a dual XP-E at this point? The extra bulk is annoying, but tolerable

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What optic are you using on your current triple? I've been fairly pleased with the 35mm ledil triple optics for the XPG. The spot is a good bit narrower than the 10507 20mm triple. It's 16 degrees and also appears to put more light on the ground than any of the 20mm optics. You just have to be willing to work with the larger size. But 35mm isn't really that big.

There is more info and beamshots in this thread. The very first beamshot and lux measurement is of the 35 triple optic with XPGs.
    LED and Optics for Lightweight Helmet Light

-

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I'm using the 10507 with the XP-E's. I'm not entirely satisfied with the amount of light I'm getting out of it, then again I only recently realized that only 2 of the 3 leds are lighting.

With the 35mm, is there a MCPCB, or do you use 3x17mm boards? On edit, I see the Cutter-XPGMR11T boards that are meant to work with that optic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    I'm using the 10507 with the XP-E's. I'm not entirely satisfied with the amount of light I'm getting out of it, then again I only recently realized that only 2 of the 3 leds are lighting.

With the 35mm, is there a MCPCB, or do you use 3x17mm boards?
    Cutter do a 32mm MCPCB for the MR11 optics... click the XPE on MCPCB box for details.

Looks like the XPE optic is a little tighter than the XRE one I used to run, which was a really nice beam.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    so I'm going to go with the 35mm. Have to figure out which circuit to use, I'm thinking simple is better.