Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G

Just a few pictures of a build i did a couple of years age and never got around to posting.

The light and bar clamp weigh in at about 110g.

Uses 6 xp-g leds, a maxflex driver with max set to 1200ma and a 7.4v li-po with a remote switch made from a freeby light.
    the freeby light gives me an led and a momentary switch all in one.

Maxflex board is a tight fit in the housing and held in place with a small clamp/heatsink.

Rendered image of light design
    Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-led-assembly-rendered.jpg

Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-light-assembly2.jpg
    Front exploded view
    Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-light-assembly3.jpg
    Rear exploded view
    Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-light-assembly-back.jpg
    Another front exploded view
    Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-light-assembly-front.jpg
    On the CNC being machined up
    Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-mach-2.jpg

Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-mach-1.jpg
    Finished lens cover
    Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-lens-holder.jpg
    Casing all assembled and the fins being cut around the body with wire EDM machine
    Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-wire-1.jpg
    Casing finished wire EDM (if you look carefully you can see the brass wire vertically)
    Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-wire-2.jpg
    Finished light
    Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-light-hand.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Excellent work!!! Do you like how it works?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am giving you a 9 for the housing, but you lose 2 points for taking so long to post it & not including beamshots

What optic did you go with & how has the light worked out in use ?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Also, tell us about what software you used to design and program it with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Excellent work!!! Do you like how it works?

Yes I do like the light, thats the main reason why I've not made any more.
    This was made as a prototype to see how light i could make the light and for it to run without any issues such as heat build up.
    The only time that it gets hot is when its sat there on for ten minutes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    I am giving you a 9 for the housing, but you lose 2 points for taking so long to post it & not including beamshots

What optic did you go with & how has the light worked out in use ?
    Its using carlco triple optics 105xxx with one narrow and one diffused.

The narrow give a good beam down the trail and the diffused floods the trail in front of you and gives good spill of the edges of the trail.

I've got a couple of other housings machined up which are bigger (and heavier, light would be 200g built up) and have a large built in switch on the rear face and o rings everywhere.
    These new housings were designed to be my full time offroad ligths thinking that this build wouldn't see me through its first winter with snow and rain. But it did hence they've not been built up.

The only issue with this build was that last week the uber light clamp cracked, probably due to vibrations on the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Also, tell us about what software you used to design and program it with.

Its designed in solidworks.
    Very easy software to get good designs and good exploded views.
    Its also easy to see if it all fits together before you start cutting ali.

Machining is all done in mastercam or alpha-cam.

Pretty happy with the design, it could've been made lighter but i think that would've given it heat issues.

mtbr member
    whoa whoa whoa - wire EDM?! I think that the machined lights bar has just been raised again folks Absolutely stunning looking light and I love the conrod look of the mount!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    whoa whoa whoa - wire EDM?! I think that the machined lights bar has just been raised again folks Absolutely stunning looking light and I love the conrod look of the mount!
    Thanks. Not the cheapest form of cutting but when you use a 0.25mm wire the fins are easy to cut thinly and lots of them.

mtbr member
    The clamp was machined far too light weight and is so thin. It actually fractured, probably due to vibration earlier this week so machined up a new slightly modified version. It had done fine for over a year of riding.

I'll post pics of this soon along with some beam shots. Been raining every night I've been out.

Just looked at the exploded view pictures and it's updated the assembly with the modified clamp. The picture in my hand shows it had more cutaways on it.

mtbr member
    Nice work mate

I'm a MasterCam user too and have used it a lot on helping to make my lights. I take it you're an engineer by trade?

mtbr member
    it might not be cheap (actually, I have no idea), but it certainly gives you a lot more freedom in designing the light and its thermals. As for the clamp, I think DIY lights, however beautifully executed aren't truly finished until they've been through enough iterations for you to want to make another one. Then you start all over again!

My next light will be machined (as opposed to hacked) and it's quite an intimidating prospect. Seeing all the machined light projects on here certainly keeps up the inspiration though!

mtbr member
    Solidworks helps a lot on the design front.
    You can fix the clamp and put loads or run vibration tests by placing forces on the lamp section. It's dead easy to use for beginners too Matt. Pm me if your interested in knowing more about it.
    if you look carefully at the maxflex board in the exploded views there is a small finned clamp attached to the temp sensor area to the main body.

Wire edm certainly helps with controlling the heat as all of the fins are in the air flow all along their length.

Deesta I'm a tool maker by trade so cad, cnc's and all edm are my forte. Mastercam not bad machining package, it's not good for design though. At work we are looking at upgrading the cam to match the siemans nd cad.

mtbr member
    Beautiful. What was the exterior calculated surface area?

mtbr member
    Holy cow that thing is awesome!

Nice work!

Don
    09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    I think it was beautiful till you painted it black. The black really takes away from it but still great work.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    It was anodized matt black (not painted) because it matches my matt black cube with black bars.
    I do agree another colour may be better but when it's on the bike you don't see it.
    The stealth look.
    What colour would you recommend then?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stuflo View Post
    It was anodized matt black (not painted) because it matches my matt black cube with black bars.
    I do agree another colour may be better but when it's on the bike you don't see it.
    The stealth look.
    What colour would you recommend then?
    I liked it in the raw aluminum state.. But I may be prejudiced because I love buffed aluminum bikes. The black just seems to do nothing for it..
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    That's just a rendered image off solidworks.

mtbr member
    Are you thinking of marketing them? How many lumens does it produce?

mtbr member
    its got 2 xpg-r5 triple boards with a maxflex driver and a 7.4v li-po battery, i run it at 1.0amp, so theoretical output is 2086 lumen but i'm sure its not that bright, and i certainly wouldn't guarantee my calculations either. i'm sure matt will correct it though.

the optics on it are carlco 10507 and 10508, which are narrow and medium, it gives a very good spread of light across the trail for my riding, and thats why i've not built up the other casings i've machined up.

Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-mtb-light-2-1.jpgBuild I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-mtb-light-2-2.jpgBuild I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-mtb-light-2-3.jpgBuild I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-mtb-light-2-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Finally walked over the park and got a couple of beam shots over the park. Pictures taken 6 SECONDS AT F4 - WHITE BALANCE - DAYLIGHT

Control shot
    Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-img_3631_1.jpg

Light at 1.0a center tree about 50m away
    Build I did a couple of years ago of a 6 up XP-G-img_3634_1.jpg

mtbr member
    blimey, that other housing is a monster! I bet that would handle a couple of XM-L2s each at 3A without flinching

lumen output sounds about right (all LEDs wired in series I presume?), knockoff ~30% for optical and heat related losses for OTF lumens. I wonder how much current you're drawing from the battery to supply 1A at 18V or so? Should be within a li-po's capabilities, just curious.

mtbr member
    That's why I went with a decent li-po. Yes all in series Matt. Those casings haveny been built up yet but designed to take all the same kit as the black one Matt. Just designed to be bomb proof lol. Enough of them for one on either side of the bar and a helmet light.
    Had fun on facebook on Friday night when people banging on about 9000 lumen lights. Lol.

I did mention in another post about building a sixup xml and sort of got shot down.
    Well you know how I cut those fins and they could easily be made thinner and longer and any shape I want.
    Just need to get time to find the right driver and boards. Ideally I wanted 20mm triples but can't find any. :'(
    So 35mm it'll have to be and then once I've sourched everything I'll design a nice funky casing to package them all up in.
    Do you recon two 6up xml's for the bars would be overkill.

May even design a casing related to this forum for a laugh.

mtbr member
    from my own experience I think ~3000lm is more than enough, provided the beam pattern works for your riding. Unless you're hitting 40mph+ regularly, then anything else is just willy waving. I'm more interested in maintaining output + tint but reducing weight.

As for a double triple XM-L, if that's what floats your boat, why not? You're not going to be doing it with 20mm boards as no one makes 20mm triple XM-L optics, as I'd wager the beam won't be much more focused than having no optic at all. 35mm triple is the minimum. Personally, I'd wager that you'd end up running them at 1/2 power or less most of the time, in which case you'll be dragging around one hell of a lot of weight (mostly in batteries) for not much point. Still, they would be very efficient lights and you'll have the power to huck off cliffs if necessary! But, it's always cool to see what people come up with, so go for it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast