mtbr member
    Nov 2008

buck puck wiring

I need some help. I have a buck puck 1000ma dimmable driver and i want to use it to drive two 3 up xpg boards at 500ma each. Do i just wire both the led + to the driver led + and the both the led - to the driver led -? ill be running a 14.8 v li ion battery.
    Last edited by hernluis; 02-19-2011 at 02:20 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes, as long as the 3-up boards you have are series connected (on the board). This would be considered a 2P3S configuration. Your battery is perfect for that setup.

One Gear
    For an extra $19 you could add a second buckpuck and run both 3x XPG's at 1000mA.

Just a thought........It's a lot of light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i was thinking that too .40aet. could i wire both buckpucks to one pot so both could be dimmed at once?

One Gear
    I asked TaskLed that question a few years ago and they said that it would work. The the wire that is labled 0-5v is the input from the pot. Cut the pot off of one (cut the wires in the middle in case they need to go back together). Cut the 0-5v wire in half on the good pot and splice the 2 buckpucks together. Put a piece of tape on the reference of the unused wire. It has +5v live to feed the pot and will short out if not taped back.

I ran out of pucks with dimmers on my last 2 driver light and didn't get to try. Please report back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i just asked led supply the same thing and they said i needed a 2.5K ohm pot instead of a 5k pot to run two buck pucks off of it. Now the thing is where do i find a small 2.5k pot? Now im not sure. i could go with a maxflex but finding a momentary switch is hard. I could also do two buck pucks with their own pots. I need to think abou this...

mtbr member
    momentary switches aren't terribly hard to find - if you're in the US then Digikey stocks a few, if you're in the UK Farnell (and even CRC) stock. I don't know about elsewhere, but there are plenty of people all over the place using *flex drivers, so someone should be able to help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    mouser also has a ton
    ebay has a decent selection

Dirt Deviant
    If you need a single momentary switch, i'm sure that someone on here would be willing to part with one.
    I happen to have an overstock of them myself.
    I just happened tp get a package in the mail today with 40 of them.
    PM me if you need one.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    how could i water proof the switch savageman?

Dirt Deviant
    The switches I picked up are supposed to be water proof.
    Here is the link.........
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

For the ultimate switch, if you don't mind spending a few $$, there is the ITW Mountain switch from Mouser.........
    http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...ey107-6217-EVX

and waterproof boot..............
    http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...key107-6003-EV

I have both, and am very happy with the inexpensive ebay switches for the $$

removing nudity
    My preferred switch from Jaycar

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That seems to be a popular choice. If you do a lot of lighs you can get them on eBay for about $1ea buying in small quantity. They're called waterproof momentary switch on there.

Dirt Deviant
    They look to be the same or at least similar to the ones I linked to on ebay.
    The seller I get mine from has them in a few different colors.
    Free shipping. They get here fast to the USA from china. Less than 10 days from time of payment. I'm always surprised when they show up so fast. One order got here in 6 days!