mtbr member

Brightstar LEVIN 10W HID

Another cheapie HID ?
    looks like a decent package which came out mid year. Has anyone evaluated them ?

I am trying to locate a dealer now - and also trying to get in a pack of 6....

mtbr member
    Ok,
    Brightstar quoted me 160/unit(FOB) for 18 or more units (4400ma batt)....

At that price you may as well stick to the trailtech HIDs, with some of their batt packs.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I haven’t heard of them, but it sounds like the Levin may be a new product just recently released. They claim 500 lumen output from the 12 watt HID, with a 3.5 hour run time on a 4400mAh pack, or 4.2 hour run time on a 5200mAh pack.

A quick search turns up their website, which as a link to their distributors, although you've already been in contact with them so I guess you know that!

Let us know how you go, it might be another option for a lower price HID.

Cheers, Dave.

mtbr member
    I dont know what I am going to do with 18 hids . I am now in Malaysia so finding 17 other riders wanting HIDs for a group buy will be difficult. I'll pass on this one...

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Yeah it’s a bit much just to be able to try a light out!

I guess they wouldn’t have hit the shelves in bike shops yet either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    They're available individually from BatterySpace. I haven't purchased anything from this vendor before so I can't say what their support is like.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Welcome to the boards Divot!

I was afraid battery space would pick them up as a distributor… If you do a quick search for battery space in the “GPS, Lighting and Computer” boards you will get a fair idea of what a lot of us think of them.

Dave.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Brightstar Levin HID

I have used the Levin HID for a about two years and change. for the price I paid on eBay, it was well worth it, but I cannot recommend at full retail price. several issues make it less user friendly than it needs to be.

if you mount it on your handlebars the jostling will turn the light off... I don't mean it blinks, I mean OFF for about 10 seconds while it resets or whatever it is doing.

the switch is located on the batter pack not on the light. you may think whatever, not a big deal, and maybe that is true most of the time. but when you are on a group ride, you don't want to waste battery life (3hour run time is pretty decent), and if you start your ride during daylight like most of us, you want an easy on switch that you can turn on quickly without removing your pack. and
    *!the most important flaw with the flick switch on the pack is that in the pack it can be flicked while you are riding!*

on the pro side, it was cheap, it will work underwater, battery run time is quite excellent (I experienced running it for 3 solid hours even after 2 years of use), and it is really really bright (I now have a niterider HID which is slightly brighter with the same power consumption)

I got the Niterider because after a couple years, the wire in the battery pack fried and it would randomly shut off. I might get another battery pack for it so I have an extra HID, but they are a little pricey ($99)

Dirt Deviant
    Holy thread resurrection batman!!!
    = )
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.