mtbr member
    Mar 2007

bridgelux RS driver

50mm x 60 mm Boost Driver took a couple attempts to get the board right.

dwight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bridgelux RS driver-p1011971.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Looks heavy duty.

So I can see the 2.1 amps and the 24.4 Vf.

Any other specifics on amps, battery voltage ranges, efficiency?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Linear LT3755 @ 200K HZ
    PIC 18F14K22 (temp control / linear dimmer / batt voltage monitor....)
    5 Cell 48WH from Battery Space.
    ~92% efficient
    ~6000 Lumens ( @ 120 lumen / watt)
    2oz 4 layer board

You cant see it in the pic but the mosfet / diode / Inductor node are thermally connected to the cover. 3-4 watts of heat (switching loss/ on rds...) doesn't seem like a lot but if u dont remove it...the Power SO-8 will die I have personally confirmed this !.

I plan on using a Bridgelux ES for a mountain bike light ( the smaller led in the pic). The housing shown in the pic is for diving... 2.5lbs for a bike light is a bit much
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bridgelux RS driver-p1011941.jpg  

bridgelux RS driver-p1011954.jpg  

bridgelux RS driver-p1011982.jpg  

Last edited by Happy Rabbit; 08-16-2012 at 08:16 AM.

mtbr member
    blimey, that should produce enough light! Is the diving (or mtb for that matter) light going to be an unfocused mule? The only dive lights I've seen have been aspherics, which is the complete opposite, supposedly to reduce backscatter from the water. Then again, I've never been diving, so that's just second hand knowledge!

Texaspyro on BLF has built some 100,000lm+ arrays using Bridgelux arrays and custom drivers, he might we worth saying hi to. I know he used the reflector you can get from Digikey and was very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Simple insanity there. I can see why you needed the custom driver..

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The no lens config is for marco / video. I still use a dual strobe setup. See attached pic for Bridgelux MTB board. I will use a Ledil reflector for the MTB project. MY old OSRAM OSTAR finally died.... time for a new diy light

BridgeLux ES Driver / Controller ~ 3000 lumens (28Vf @1A) 40mm Dia

Dwight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bridgelux RS driver-bridgelux-es-40mm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    well...6000 lumens isn't that impressive...w/o a lens
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bridgelux RS driver-p1011993.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Rabbit View Post
    The no lens config is for marco / video. I still use a dual strobe setup. See attached pic for Bridgelux MTB board. I will use a Ledil reflector for the MTB project. MY old OSRAM OSTAR finally died.... time for a new diy light

BridgeLux ES Driver / Controller ~ 3000 lumens (28Vf @1A) 40mm Dia

Dwight

Dwight,

Are both of these your designs, or only the round board? Are both 4-layer boards?

What software do you use for the board layout?

Will

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Both designs were done by me and 4 layer. The 40mm board is just smaller caps, inductor, and mosfets. The 40mm mtb board doesn't exist outside of my computer...yet This is my 1st attempt @ designing pcb boards... a bit of a step learning curve to be honest.. diy^2

I like the free software from :

PCB Manufacturer in Aurora Colorado Manufacturing Annular Ring, Circuit Board Fabrication, Printed Circuit Boards by Advanced Circuits

They have $33 x4 (2 layer, 1oz) and $66x 4 (4 layer,1oz) offers but if you want 2oz and 3oz boards -> $55 @ 20 qty I am getting rdy to order some 3oz boards.

Attached pic shows Voltage @ the LED ( Little ripples is the Linear Driver @ 200KHz and the big pulse is the PWM 250hz @ 10% duty cycle). Not the best scope but good enough. LT3755 does a nice job. During operation, I can plug the charger in without issue. Very stable.

dwight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bridgelux RS driver-p1012001.jpg  

Last edited by Happy Rabbit; 08-18-2012 at 10:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Rabbit View Post
    Both designs were done by me and 4 layer. The 40mm board is just smaller caps, inductor, and mosfets. The 40mm mtb board doesn't exist outside of my computer...yet This is my 1st attempt @ designing pcb boards... a bit of a step learning curve to be honest.. diy^2

I like the free software from :

PCB Manufacturer in Aurora Colorado Manufacturing Annular Ring, Circuit Board Fabrication, Printed Circuit Boards by Advanced Circuits

They have $33 x4 (2 layer, 1oz) and $66x 4 (4 layer,1oz) offers but if you want 2oz and 3oz boards -> $55 @ 20 qty I am getting rdy to order some 3oz boards.

Attached pic shows Voltage @ the LED ( Little ripples is the Linear Driver @ 200KHz and the big pulse is the PWM 250hz @ 10% duty cycle). Not the best scope but good enough. LT3755 does a nice job. During operation, I can plug the charger in without issue. Very stable.

dwight
    Dwight,

For those being your first boards ever, I am beyond impressed. So far I have done 4-5 boards, but everything has been 2-layers. I also use LED drivers from LT, and right now I am waiting to receive boards for a small (20mm dia) buck LED driver using the LT3518 constant current regulator, running at 1Mhz, with a current capability in the 1.5-2.0 amp range

As to ordering boards, those prices do sound a little expensive, which is why I don't order from them often. Now-a-days I order production boards from Myro and get great support and good prices. You can see some of the boards, and projects using boards I made in my web site (in my signature).

I also initially used the same software, but then moved to Eagle. Eagle is "the" hobbyist software, used by Sparkfun, Adafruit, and many, many more, so there are a ton of tutorials and libraries/parts, as well as outstanding support groupw, websites, etc., so Eagle is what I use exclusively now.

Keep the good work. Looking forward to seeing more designs from you

Will

Custom machining and electronics: Home
    Last edited by wquiles; 08-18-2012 at 11:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

latest version

Ver 8.... after 8 months of attempts. this ver is great
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bridgelux RS driver-led-driver-v8.jpg  

bridgelux RS driver-led-v8-pwm-scope.jpg  

bridgelux RS driver-thermal-led-driver.jpg  

bridgelux RS driver-driver-v8-scope.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

ES Bridgelux driver

Round 2 for the MTB Driver Board.... I didn't really like the 1st attempt very much..

7-20V (3 or 4 Cell Lipo)
    20-30 watts (21Vf @ 1amp)
    200K HZ Step-up (flat wire inductors r very cool)
    Kemet Polymer Ta Cap for the output filter ( the Ceramic are kinda noisy due to the PWM)
    NXP Mosfet SOT 669 45V
    Diode SBR 45V DI5
    Linear 3755 controller
    PIC 18F14K22
    digital intensity control based on the MLX 90316
    temperature protected

4-layer 40mm 2oz copper. I tie everything to the ground plane.

Dwight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bridgelux RS driver-mtb-v2.jpg