mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Brainstorming again!!!

I got this idea and wanted to throw it out there to get some pros and cons before I get started.

I was thinking too that I could make a mould out of clay for each lense and use JB Weld reenforced with fibre to make a custom housing. Or, I could get the dremel out again and make them out of aluminum. All the wiring could be channeled through the foam to the rear and, Get this, when the new bFlex with the slave option comes out in a few weeks, make this one smokin must have light source. Of course if anybody wanted one they would all have to be custom made so the price would be sky high. Chi Ching!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mofoki; 11-23-2007 at 08:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The biggest issue that I see is that there appears to be no heatsinking for the LEDs. They will never reach full intensity and burn up quickly without that.

Other things to consider: weatherproofing, ability to position beams (maybe no big deal if you get it right to start with), wiring in helmet, place to mount driver, switch and power connector.

Otherwise, that would be an awesome, unobtrusive, built-in helmet light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice idea and a cool look. I do think the heat will be a problem and could affect the helmet as well as what the previous poster mention. Those LEDs get very hot. You could end up with four little bald patches on your head too

Heatsinking is critical and some of the DIYs I am seeing appear to not have the grooves or plates cut deep enough either though I'm no light engineer so they may be fine.

I have more lights than I really need so DIY isn't for me but I still love to see what you guys are trying out. Good stuff!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Bald patches; It's to late to worry about that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    With 4 LEDs you won't need to drive them as hard as possible to get a good amount of light. So that should help the heat problem. It will also be more efficient overall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How about four tufts of crazy-thick hair then- in orange or neon green?

mtbr member
    Bflex with slave option ?? what! where !
    I like the idea , I allready have a helmet modded for a bullet cam so the lights would be great.

mtbr member
    This idea is not as daft as it sounds . after reading this thread a second time .
    If you made 4 seperate heads up from ali with some fins then you could get as good if not better than a triple , more space and heads in the airflow .

next problem the wiring as I presume they would need to be in series and plug in to the power / bflex pod .

mounting the heads would need some thought for each different helmet.

I do think it would make a cool helmet light
    You could have 2 spots and 2 wide beams for an awesome setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Will the foam on the helmet get weak from heat given off the LED?

Last I checked, helmet is only good for one good fall. Hope the style is still around or you set up can be modified if some bad luck comes along...hope not...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I think there is a problem with having things inserted into the helmet spaces

Helmets are designed to crush to reduce the forces on the head and neck. Having hard bits inbetween could mean the hard bits get forced into the skull if thats the area of the helmet that is landed on. That would be bad :-(

mtbr member
    yep good point Iggs Have to rethink that one.
    Forgot the lid was for protection not to carry riding aids
    but these forums help with the development of ideas that is why we post these ideas before doing it

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    yep good point Iggs Have to rethink that one.
    Forgot the lid was for protection not to carry riding aids
    but these forums help with the development of ideas that is why we post these ideas before doing it
    Glad it was taken in the way it was intended. I don't like being the person who points out the problem, much rather help with solutions. Can't help but say what I think though :-S

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I understand the risks involved, I've had more than my share of crashes but I have never had a helmet sustain that much damage to render it useless. I wouldn't be using this for the road, just MTB. I do road ride and I have been hit by a car once and that was a pretty bad scene, but mtb crashes are different and where I ride at night doesn't have very dangerous terrain. Plus the older I get the less chances I take. So, for the intended use I think this idea isn't that bad. It would be stupid to think it's a good design to be put on the market for the general crowd I agree.