mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Box Enclosure housing

I think I have the bug. I recently had a Hammond box fabricated but I really messed up gluing in the lens. I decided to play around with other enclosures. I recently found one from Newark made by a company called Box Enclosures. They are reasonable - between 7 and 10 dollars so I thought I would play around with one. The bright silver anodizing looks great but the alloy used on the end plates is very soft. The guy who helped me drill the holes found it hard to drill out a clean hole for the lens. He told me the harder aluminum of the Hammond case was much easier to drill cleanly.

It is much smaller than the Hammond and will probably have some heat issues with the L33.2MC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Box Enclosure housing-img_0195.jpg  

Box Enclosure housing-img_0196.jpg  

Box Enclosure housing-img_0197.jpg  

Box Enclosure housing-img_0199.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice look.

I bet if you thought about it, you could seal front and back, AND get a decent thermal path to them, other than the screws, and the front is in the airstream and the area is increased, even if it isn't quite as good as the rest of the box.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The completed light gets quite hot if allowed to just sit at full power. I can still hold it but it is not comfortable. I may consider using a larger housing for the next light. We will see how this size holds up. Another thing I will try is using thermal compound to help make the box water resistant and allow or the front and back to be used for heat sinking.

Easy to make and not that bad looking. I am currently using the narrow 20mm optic and it is plenty spread out for me. Since the optic is right against the lens, there is no adhesive holding it in. This lets me try different optics really easily.

I cant wait to start on my next project! This time I may try the batteryspace inline switch and possibly a momentary switch in the box. We will see. Maybe I will also get a bigger batteryspace battery with two outputs to run two L33.2MC lights at the same time. So many possibilities!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Box Enclosure housing-img_0211.jpg  

Box Enclosure housing-img_0212.jpg  

Box Enclosure housing-img_0213.jpg  

Box Enclosure housing-img_0214.jpg