mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Boost driver @ 700mA with a dimming option

Hello,

Anybody knows a boost driver @ 700mA with a dimming option?

I am interested in building a mountain bike headlight, with the following specs:

I want to run 2 luxeon tri-star rebels LEDs (2x540 lms @ 750mA, Vf=6x3.15).

I want to be able to switch the light on/off, and with a different switch to change between the hi/low power of the beam.

I want to use a boost driver, with a wiring / connection based on the attached philosophy.

With the switch 1, I will connect the batteries (on / off switch)
    With the switch 2 I will be able to switch between the hi / low power.
    With the appropriate selection of the R, I will be able to dim the current output from 750mA (switch 2 open) to e.g. 300 mA, for lower power / dimming options.

(I have this setup with 2 luxeon V leds & buckpuck)

BUT, I can not find an appropriate driver with these specs.

I have found the boostpuck, but at the moment it is only available in 350mA.
    The parallel connection of 2 micropucks is a great option, but has no dimming control.

Any other recommendations? Am I doing something wrong? Am I looking for something too much here?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Manos
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Maxflex from taskled will do what you want and more.

Why use the triple rebel stars?
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes I had a look at the maxflex, but isn't it too complicated? I mean, with EPROM, programmable etc? I was looking for sth simpler.

Why not use rebels? What would you suggest?

Lets RIDE!
    Quote Originally Posted by mns
    Depends on what you like. The optics available for the Rebel produce a wide flood beam. Most of us here prefer a tighter beam.

The 20mm triple XPG from Cutter, with the "narrow" optic, will produce a medium-width beam with close to twice the lumens as the triple Rebel.
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mns
    Yes I had a look at the maxflex, but isn't it too complicated? I mean, with EPROM, programmable etc? I was looking for sth simpler.

Wiring wise the maxflex is much the same as the buckpucks, instead of the switch/resistor you need a momentary switch. It doesn't have flying leads so you need to wire onto the board. Yes I wish the boostpuck went up higher than 350m.

The maxflex may need heatsinking depending on your battery/load. The programming isn't that difficult once you get your head around it.

The tri rebel stars are quite floody and the efficiency is better with crees. What sort of beam were you wanting?
    DIY LED Bike Lights:

help with the zip please
    Have a look at the Recom drivers from cutter. I think they'll do what you are after, cheaper and smaller than the Taskled drivers but for what it's worth the benefit of temp sensing and low battery warnings make the Taskled drivers the better choice. Get your head around programming them once and then all you need to do is to remember to press to turn off and click to change between modes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    Have a look at the Recom drivers from cutter.
    Is there a boost model?
    DIY LED Bike Lights:

help with the zip please
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    Is there a boost model?
    My mistake Znomit, I read it as buck.

Damn, I really am getting old

MNS if you have looked at 2 boostpucks in parallel is it possible to run a bypass switch on one of them? When the switch is open, you power both pucks giving you the 700mA, close the swicth, one of the pucks is bypassed, powering only one, giving the LEDs 350mA as a dim mode? Sorry, electronics isn't my strong point

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    @Jim Z: I was looking for something between 15-20. For the rebels, they have optics with an angle of 18degrees. I will have a look at the XPGs...

@ emu26: that's a good thought. but i don't know, because the "parallel" s not that simple parallel, having other wires. I will have to check though and come back.

Thank you all for the infos. You gave me a lot of homework...