Thread: BLT Lights?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

BLT Lights?

Can they be ordered in the US? Where and how?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

hard to get

You can find some BLT lights here http://toeclip.com/index.php?pg=show...=62&category=9 but I went though this trying to find a FireWire 4.0 light that got a good review on fixgeargallery.com. I tried though my LBS and called Norco (parent company for BLT) but was told it is not available in the US but that I could try finding a shop in Canada and have them send it over and pay the extra duty. Too much trouble so if they don't want to take my money I figured forget it, someone else will. I don't know what you are looking for but it seems that unless you live in Canada or the UK, BLT light are hard to come by. Too bad, they have some nice features. I bought one of Ozone 9ine lights for commuting and it's a nice light but it has a sort of rubber band mounting system that I'm not too fond of. It's easy on/off but not stable enough for MTB....if just ends up pointing down. But the light itself is really stout and bright enough for low intensity riding. I wouldn't recommend it for serious night lighting. Great commuter light though. Good Luck finding what you want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I wanted the FireWire as well. That has to be the best battery holder, and it can be mounted anywhere or stick it in my backpack's mini-pump pocket.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

If you want to order from the UK.....

try this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=13350. And here http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/reviews/lights/blt/ is a link to the fixedgeargallery review that first got me interested in the FireWire. What I liked about it was it took off-the-shelf AA bats and it seemed reasonably bright and it had a good run time. In the end I ended up spending a bunch more money and got some L&M and Dinotte lights which are really great but I can't walk into a gas station store convenience and buy batteries. I may get one of the FireWires yet if it comes up for sale in the US.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dkahern
    try this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=13350. And here http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/reviews/lights/blt/ is a link to the fixedgeargallery review that first got me interested in the FireWire. What I liked about it was it took off-the-shelf AA bats and it seemed reasonably bright and it had a good run time. In the end I ended up spending a bunch more money and got some L&M and Dinotte lights which are really great but I can't walk into a gas station store convenience and buy batteries. I may get one of the FireWires yet if it comes up for sale in the US.
    Yeah, different battery packs for each brand and even different models of the same brand has become a pet peeve for me. It is so much more convenient, and cheaper to be able to use 4 or 8 AA Ni-Mh batteries and a small smart charger. The light makers just want to squeeze that last dollar from us. And will a new battery pack even be available when needed in the future? I wish I had seen your links to the UK to possibly order the BLT. I just ordered the Topeak Moonshine 3H at a great price from Amazon, in spite of its special battery pack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I ended up getting a Light and Motion Stella party because I have a friend who crews for Rebbeca Rush who is a great 24hr racer and she is sponsored by L&M so he was able to get me a light for a great price. I also just picked up a Dinotte 200L. The Stella is fantastic, really well made and bright for a small package. I've used it a bunch in the last month and a half and have nothing bad to say. I got the Dinotte because it is even smaller and brighter and comes with 2 lithium batteries. I have not used it much but I'm impressed with it so far. I found I really needed 2 lights for MTB riding. I wanted long burn times because I'm out longer than 2 or 3 hours and both these light are long lasting. I don't need blow torch brightness..... I got a mortgage and kids....it's irresponsible for me to go that fast . I do some endurance road riding so I need light to go a long time, even overnight. I agree that the manufacturers seem to be trying to sqeeze blood out of us. I like the idea of AA bats that are readily available. I'm not sorry about the lights I've got but they don't quite fit my perfect world. As I said I may yet get a BLT in the future if they sell here. In the mean time I'm going to hide my reciepts from my wife. I don't want to have that "You spent HOW MUCH on bike lights?!?" conversation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dkahern
    I ended up getting a Light and Motion Stella party because I have a friend who crews for Rebbeca Rush who is a great 24hr racer and she is sponsored by L&M so he was able to get me a light for a great price. I also just picked up a Dinotte 200L. The Stella is fantastic, really well made and bright for a small package. I've used it a bunch in the last month and a half and have nothing bad to say. I got the Dinotte because it is even smaller and brighter and comes with 2 lithium batteries. I have not used it much but I'm impressed with it so far. I found I really needed 2 lights for MTB riding. I wanted long burn times because I'm out longer than 2 or 3 hours and both these light are long lasting. I don't need blow torch brightness..... I got a mortgage and kids....it's irresponsible for me to go that fast . I do some endurance road riding so I need light to go a long time, even overnight. I agree that the manufacturers seem to be trying to sqeeze blood out of us. I like the idea of AA bats that are readily available. I'm not sorry about the lights I've got but they don't quite fit my perfect world. As I said I may yet get a BLT in the future if they sell here. In the mean time I'm going to hide my reciepts from my wife. I don't want to have that "You spent HOW MUCH on bike lights?!?" conversation.
    "You spent HOW MUCH on (fill in the blanks)? Was familiar to me up to 2 years ago when my wife passed away. I didn't like hearing it then, but wouldn't mind hearing it occassionally now. Also, my kids are grown and I am retired, the only responsibility I have now is to myself and my dog. I do some road riding and am getting more into mountain biking to stay busy and for my health. I am holding off on getting LED lights because I think they are being rushed into production "as is" when they still need more design work on brightness and beam width for the reasonably priced ones. Also, I have a set of 4+ year old Cygolite Night Rover 16 watt halogens on my handlebars. I have heard LEDs and halogen don't mix well due to color differences. I will give the LEDs another year, then see what's out there to possibly upgrade my lights. By then I might be able to get the BLT's, or even make my own!
    Last edited by denmikseb; 11-06-2007 at 01:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I found the BLT Firewire 4.0 on-line at americancycle.com for $130. Also on several Canadian sites. BUT...IT CAN NOT BE SHIPPED! It has to be picked up in the store. What is the deal with the no shipping? It shouldn't be hazardous, lights (and batteries) ship daily, I have a light set on order now. Is it something in the NAFTA agreement? I'm just joking about that, but the fact that it appears this light cannot be shipped, even from a US dealer, bothers me.