Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,828

    Blackburn System X6 Bicycle Lights

    anyone use these lights before, have any feedback on them? Much appreciated
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    243

    blackburn review...

    I just got the X3 system (1 head vs. 2) I haven't used it yet - its still charging. As soon as I get a chance to use it I will post a review. The one mechanic at my nearby shop uses the X6 and really likes it.

    I was considering the X6 but I want one on the bar and one on my helmet. The problem is that you only get one battery. If you put the battery in your camelback your are running a wire to the front and one to your head.

    Let me know what you end up getting.

    Matt

  3. #3
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation: RED5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,029
    one intersting thing to consider about these lights is the lumens they put out. The X6 only puts out 85 lumens, the Solo from Light and Motion puts out 300 and is cheaper. For another comparison, the L&M Vega, basically a commuter light puts out 85 lumens.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    23
    Correction...the Blackburn X6 puts out 85 lumens PER HEAD. So that's 170 lumens total.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jr711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    353
    i was at jenson usa's showroom last week. they had the x3 and x6 system chraged. the only testing i did was turn them on in the small restroom. the guy working said they're going to have all their lights out one night this week or up coming. i couldn't really tell much from the restroom test. i'm curious how these lights stack up to the cateye triple shot and double shot

  6. #6
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,828
    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    i was at jenson usa's showroom last week. they had the x3 and x6 system chraged. the only testing i did was turn them on in the small restroom. the guy working said they're going to have all their lights out one night this week or up coming. i couldn't really tell much from the restroom test. i'm curious how these lights stack up to the cateye triple shot and double shot
    Yehw well that's why I asked as Jenson is my store of choice and I juts saw then on their online store. Better yet I just price matched them for $199 so I'm interested since they ship international and it only takes 3 days to get here. Nothing else on Jenson is around that price to compare. Keep us posted as I would like to put in an order before x-mas.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jr711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    353
    usually jenson sends out emails about upcoming events. so far they haven't sent anything out. i'll try to give them a call later today or tomorrow if i don't get home in time.

  8. #8
    rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Yehw well that's why I asked as Jenson is my store of choice and I juts saw then on their online store. Better yet I just price matched them for $199 so I'm interested since they ship international and it only takes 3 days to get here. Nothing else on Jenson is around that price to compare. Keep us posted as I would like to put in an order before x-mas.
    Check out this deal on a Cateye Triple shot. Uses three of the same three watt LED as the Blackburn X6 that uses two. 50% more light. This seller ships worldwide. I have no connection to this seller & ect...

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Cateye-HL-EL700R...QQcmdZViewItem

    29erchico

  9. #9
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,828
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    Check out this deal on a Cateye Triple shot. Uses three of the same three watt LED as the Blackburn X6 that uses two. 50% more light. This seller ships worldwide. I have no connection to this seller & ect...

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Cateye-HL-EL700R...QQcmdZViewItem

    29erchico
    Yeh I was originally loking at the Triple Shot when u could find them for around $230, but recently I've only seen them over $300 so was looking at an alternative. Will check out e-Bay but can't say as I like doing it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  10. #10
    Hoopy Frood
    Reputation: khill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    255

    Wait for a deal on a HID

    I don't have a Blackburn but I've been comparing LED vs. halogen vs. HID for a while since I've been shopping for lights. I just got a Light & Motion ARC HID for $255 and am blown away by it's performance. The amount of light put out by this thing is incredible.

    If you're already talking about spending $200 for a light, save up another $50 - $100 and get a HID. The difference is worth it. If you can't spend that much, I've found that most 10w or 15w halogens are a better bang for the buck that the current LED lights (although expect that to change over the next year or so).

    Just my $.02.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jr711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    353
    my interest in an LED light system is for the durability. for those who use HID on a weekly basis, how often do you have to replace your bulbs? currently niterider HID bulbs are $110 msrp. i was following a thread in the endurance board about some guys using the cateye triple shot and double shot for 24hr events. and they claim they're good enough, not as bright as HID, but better than halogens. they're sponsored by cateye so it may be bias but still gives me hope that the new cateyes may be what i'm looking for. currently i've been using a 10 watt NR trailrat. its good enough for group rides, but when alone i need to really slow down. but if a triple shot and double shot combo is good enough to get me going closer to daytime speeds then its what i'm looking for. the triple and double shot combo will cost me the same as a HID system from NR or L&M(granted their not on clearance).

    maybe i'll get an HID on clearance this year and wait out for better LED systems next year

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •