Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: betty users

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    19

    betty users

    i'm using a helmet spot at the moment (an ayup) and am managing ok with it on twisty singletrack but ultimately want some decent brightness for full on high speed adventures

    I was holding out for the big review on lactic acid blogspot site, but as betty's / wlmas are selling out so fast i thought i will just go for one of them by friday. I know a shop that has one of each in so need to decide asap.

    My question is really (ignoring any costs as i have budgeted for a betty ), will my spot be any use with a betty? its about 250 lumens, and i would have spot on helmet and betty on bars. If not i can either sell the spot or keep it and get a wilma. I like the idea of 2 lights incase one fails, and also for twisty stuff...so would i be better going for the wilma?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew462
    i'm using a helmet spot at the moment (an ayup) and am managing ok with it on twisty singletrack but ultimately want some decent brightness for full on high speed adventures

    I was holding out for the big review on lactic acid blogspot site, but as betty's / wlmas are selling out so fast i thought i will just go for one of them by friday. I know a shop that has one of each in so need to decide asap.

    My question is really (ignoring any costs as i have budgeted for a betty ), will my spot be any use with a betty? its about 250 lumens, and i would have spot on helmet and betty on bars. If not i can either sell the spot or keep it and get a wilma. I like the idea of 2 lights incase one fails, and also for twisty stuff...so would i be better going for the wilma?

    Thanks
    I haven't seen your particular helmet light, but I suspect its 250 lumens will easily get drowned out by Betty's 1400. It may serve a purpose for poking around corners on singletrack. I'd get the Betty and try it with your current light. If you don't like the combo, you can always add a Wilma or something else later.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,416
    Well, it will get drowned out when used in the Betty's beam but it will still be very useful when going around corners and looking towards areas not covered by the Betty's beam. Try it out that way. Anyway, both the Betty and the Wilma are now available again here and the supply is becoming a little better. Don't rush unnecessarily- make sure you get what you want/need.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: James@GearReview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    304
    I've used a helmet mounted 200L with the Betty and it was fine. On the straights it did get mostly washed out, but the ability -- as the others have noted -- to look around the corners is nice.

    One more thing, it takes quite a bit of light to see beyond the Betty. So if you find that the throw isn't far enough (you'd have be riding pretty fast for that to be the case) don't expect a smaller spot light to help much.

    But for peeking around corners, the smaller helmet lights are OK.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,416
    James, you have been very quiet about your big review. Do you have everything yet? Can you tell us when you plan on posting the details/results?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: James@GearReview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    James, you have been very quiet about your big review. Do you have everything yet? Can you tell us when you plan on posting the details/results?
    Not by accident, I've been busy!

    I am still waiting for two lights. My goal is to have it all done before Christmas... it's going to be a busy few weeks and it might get pushed back depending on how quickly I get the remaining lights.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,416
    Well, I really look forward to some great reading around Christmas. Thanks James

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Well, I really look forward to some great reading around Christmas. Thanks James
    Agreed, I'm looking forward to both James' shootout and Flyer's Betty/Wilma beamshots. Flyer, were you going to do a mini-shootout too? I thought I read something from you a while back.

    I will say it's amazing how much some people are invested in lights (dual Bettys? Betty/Wilma combos!) :-) I'm going to try to get one of these for the handlebar:
    http://www.searchlight-ad-ventures.c...s/0571b8f0.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •