mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Best long throw helmet light

What would you consider best led/optics/driver combo for a helmet light diy project?
    Battery would go to backpack.
    I need something for uplift enduro/dh rides. So battery runtime isn't that important. Throw and lumens is. I reckon 1h runtime on max would suffice since rides are 15 to 20 mins max.
    Anyway like that 2x xhp70.2 light I saw on this forum. Could even probably find some someone to cnc me a housing.
    Any better ideas?

Light freak
    I like using Cree XP-L High Intensity LED's mated to Ledil Regina reflectors on the helmet

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This ^! The XP-L HI makes the best bike light beam I've used. In the XHP series, I've only played with an XHP50. You have to use 35mm or larger reflectors to get a good beam. That starts to make for a pretty big helmet light. Smaller optics or reflectors with the large XHP die size turn it into a flood.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm building a 4-up XP-G3 setup to cram into a easy2led 20mm housing.

Not sure what kind of throw I'm going to get - but I'm expecting a lot of light for that small setup.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    I'm building a 4-up XP-G3 setup to cram into a easy2led 20mm housing.

Not sure what kind of throw I'm going to get - but I'm expecting a lot of light for that small setup.
    It will be a lot of light, but the throw will not be too good. Each individual optic in a 20mm quad optic is too small to get good throw from an XPG because of the large die size. A smaller die size like the XPC would improve that, but at less overall output.

What driver and wiring configuration are you planning? Keep heat in mind when deciding how hard you want to push the LEDs. There is not a ton of cooling area in the 20mm Easy2Led housing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Planning on a 2s2p config on the quad for about 6vf, and 4A overall needed for full output.

Trying out a Qlite linear driver, modded for ~4A output, and zener modded to work with a 2S pack.

I've got a couple of the 20mm housings, one with an XM-L, one with an XM-L2 Hi, I wanted to try "God-awful bright" for a change. I really like the small footprint on my helmet setups.

My primary bar light right now is a 6-up XP-G2, all in series, with HBflex pushing it all at 1.5A on high in a housing not much bigger than a deck of UNO cards. Any time I'm not moving, I kick all my lights down into moonlight mode, or off completely to handle the heat.

Haven't fried anything yet, lol.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Good configuration. I've never used those drivers, mostly stayed with various Taskled stuff.

The Microlight I built years ago was a dual 10mm optics and XPGs. The tiny size was awesome. I went on a group nightride with guys I'd never ridden with before. I introduced myself to the "leader" and he looked my bike and me over and says "man, you're gonna want to get a helmet light ASAP. So I clicked it on. He totally missed on my helmet. Fun little light but at ~80 feet there just was no more light.

Later on I built a 6 up XPG with 35mm triples at 1.2A per emitter. It was pretty good and I used it up until about a year ago when I built a dual XML on 35mm Fraen narrow reflectors. That one has some reach!