mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Best light to compliment my L&M ARC ULTRA

I'm tryin to decide which light to get to go with my ARC, My helmet light took a dump on me. I've narrowed it down to three options, any advice from people with similar setups would be appreciated.

Option 1: another L&M ARC LI-ION

option 2: EXPOSURE ENDURO

Option 3: TRAIL TECH SCMR16 HID

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    First you should decide if you want to stick with HID or move to LED. I'd say get another ARC since you already have one but in a year or so, the ARC will be discontinued so keep that in mind.

The Exposure is nice because it is self-contained with no wires, as is athe BR Lights helmet light- another tough contender- literally tough. The brighter option at a very low weight (125 grams) will be the Lupine Wilma. I had the ARC and then got the Lupine Wilma. It is a great helmet light and extremely bright though it doesn't have the peripheral light of the ARC.

Sine I was gettting new lights as well, I moved over to the LED side and Lupine in particular because they offer light upgrades for the LEDs and the quality is pretty spectacular when you compare it to some of the others.

The downside of the Exposure is that you need to send it to the factory to get the battery replaced when needed. The Trail Tech isn't even close to being in the same league. I personally would not consider it. I still like a bright helmet light with light weight. The Wilma is growing on me fast but I will also have a bar light (the Betty).

So to share components and have a fantastic light setup, go for another ARC or move over to the LED side and look for a light helmet light like the Enduro or the Wilma. Once the ARCs are discontinued and LEDs are all over, you will have to move over to LEDs or go to Halogens. It will still be a year or two at the most and then HIDs will truly be done. One other thing is that LED lights are more durable in case you crash or drop one by mistake. There are no gases, filaments or fragile leneses. I hope this helps.

By the way, look though the threads on this forum. There is a wealth of information that has been posted here lately.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    First you should decide if you want to stick with HID or move to LED. I'd say get another ARC since you already have one but in a year or so, the ARC will be discontinued so keep that in mind.
    Out curiosity, where are you getting all your L&M info? You seem to have a lot of "insider" knowledge. Is this just educated speculation, or do you have a hook-up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I have no insider hookups at all but the info I get came from L&M. I have talked to them several times earlier in the year and I also apply some educated guesses to what they say. I also know that LED sales are increasing a lot and cutting into HID sales a lot while Halogen sales are somewhat stable. So it's just me and the voices in my head as usual..

mtbr member
    The Exposure Enduro in only a bar mounted light!
    The Joystick is the only Exposure that can be mounted on a helmet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh yeah, I assumed mxracer was referring to the Joystick and not the other two. I think that will be the biggest downside to the otherwise impresssive Exposure lights- some people will balk at having to send a light back to the factory for battery replacement. Hopefully though, this can be done in the US through Exposure USA. That makes it much easier. However, having a truly wireless and self-contained system is a huge plus, especially for a helmet light that is so light.

When is this big light shootout happening? I can hardly wait.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    some people will balk at having to send a light back to the factory for battery replacement.
    The batteries will last longer than current technology and they don't anitcipate having to replace batteries properly cared for and used regularly inside of 5 years time. All US customers can send the lights back to Exposure Lights USA and we in turn, send them to the UK should the need arise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is useful clarification. I have heard this very point being made by others so I'm glad you said something. I hope this information is on your website too. Five years is a very long time for a battery.

mtbr member
    I've said in another thread that if you have enough money to burn, it looks like Lupine would be a hands down winner. For the dollar right now though, i'd buy another L&M arc. I just talked to L&M last week, and the person told me a good LED from them is a year, or maybe even two years away yet. They didn't want to make an inferior product, so they're taking time to do it right. Lupines are way too much money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Id get a nice LED, preferably one lightweight and compact. Ill tell you my reasons:

HIDs cant be turned off and on all the time. That draws a lot of battery and puts harmful stress on the ballast and the bulb. Meaning: you may be reducing significantly the lifetime of your entire lightset. In that sense, you may want a more flexible light: one you can turn on/off as often as necessary (or desired); one you can dim easily to save on runtime and adjust to the conditions of your riding; one to help you not only when the going gets twisty or fast, but also to help as a backup for eating, wrenching on the trailside, etc.

All that while keeping your existing HID on, at least for the most part.

Depending on your lumen needs, you may consider a lightweight Dinotte 200 for instance. Its very small and lightweight, throws a decent beam for a helmet light and is quite economical. Its not expensive either. I read very good comments about Dinotte and Id consider one for myself (in fact I am - this bike light thing is going to get me bankrupted).

Ive got me a Wilma to add to my ARC but I dont see myself using both at the same time, except when I really need those 1.400 lumens, like for racing or ultra-fast and technical singletrack, which makes for perhaps 30% or 40% of my rides at most. Ill be using either the ARC or the Wilma + a small Petzl MyoXP moded on my helmet. Im seriously considering a Dinotte 200L with a 2 cell li-ion battery to replace it. That is, untill I order my Betty early next yr

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My riding buddies are starting to get concerned. I plan on using the Wilma and Betty on full power all the time so I can essentially ride just like I ride during the day. If I'm taking the financial drubbing by ordering these lights, I'm keeping them both on full power

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just bought a Dinotte 600L (narrow beam) to go w/ my ARC. I wrote a first impression review here somewhere. The two complement each other nicely because one fills in where the other is weak. Then you get the advantages of both HID and LED. I get car-headlight illumination in front of the bike. If I get the chance, I will measure the throw tonight - I changed the way I mount my lights and now it seems that I am not getting the site distance that I should be getting with these two lights. I'll measure it to make sure that it is not my imagination. But so far, I like the combination.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mounting them upside-down may change the pattern if it is designed specifically for direction. For example, I think the Trinewt beam would really change if you mounted it upside-down since it has that cloverleaf pattern. I'm not sure about yoru 600L but it may be the same way. The ARC has a pretty long throw but I also never mounted that upside-down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hope are close to releasing a new LED light which i assume can be helmet mounted. Half the price of a Betty 6 and 1000 lumens. If it was available already then i most likely wouldn't have a Betty now. http://www.hopegb.com/page_mep_force_21.html
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If they say "approaching 1000 Lumens" it will be much closer to the Wilma's 830/4 LEDs than the Betty's 1400/7 LEDs unless they have some very innovative reflector/lens technology that widens and throws out the beam further than a 4-LED setup normally can.

It does sound interesting though and I'd like to see it tested. Any idea what LEDs are being used? The light market is starting to get crowded with some good stuff.