mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Best "budget" lighting system?

Hi All,
    I am looking for a decent light system but don't really want to spend $300 plus dollars for the latest and greatest. Is there anything that will run for a few hours, isn't too heavy and provides good illumination? I'm looking to spend around $100 or so, at least if I can get something decent for that price.
    Thanks,
    Joe

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Others may disagree, but I've been riding with a NIteRider Headtrip (the Performance special) for the last 18 months and it works great for the money. 10V halogen, 2.5 hr burntime, about $90. I rode a 24 Hr. race with it, and 1-2 night rides a week in the Tucson area. If I'm riding with friends with HID, I just ride in the back so I don't get flared out. Not ideal, but a great way to get into night riding. I'm hoping that Santa Clause is bringing me a Dinotte 200L to add to my Headtrip, and then I'm probably going to mess around with overvolting the Headtrip.

You can also do a DIY for cheap, but I haven't tried it yet.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I think that DIY is your only option for "decent" and around 100$
    L&M Solo http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Lightset.aspx
    or some niterider? like the Sol
    or some Marwi system but they weight like 2+ pounds and not much light

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I was considering a Sigma Powerled or Karma, they light, brigt and are reasonably priced (60 to 100 eur depending on configuration)
    Haven't seen any review yet.
    http://www.sigmasport.de/en/produkte...punkt=features
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable
    I was considering a Sigma Powerled or Karma, they light, brigt and are reasonably priced (60 to 100 eur depending on configuration)
    Haven't seen any review yet.
    http://www.sigmasport.de/en/produkte...punkt=features
    The sigma powerled, are a good light, with a reasonable price, I have one and I modified the original Luxeon III for a Cree XR-E Q5 and the result are excellent, here a beamshot of the my sigma.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi , considering that I am a lighting newbie, what's a Luxeon and a Cree??
    Thanks
    Last edited by Ausable; 12-25-2007 at 09:21 AM.
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    TOPEAK make a nice bar mount lite for about $30.
    Batteries are small and lightweight so you can pocket extras.
    I use one as my backup light just incase my NR blinks out.

Another option is mini-maglites and ducktape...;-)

hth

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Only difference is brand of LED. If I recall the Cree's are brighter.

EDR
    I've got Cygolite nite rover I think. dual halogens with a 10w and a 6w bulb. Very bright, can be mounted on bars or helmet. Around $60 is you shop wisely. Battery fits in a water bottle holder or in a pack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I use a Fenix P3D light with the Q5 CREE LED. Puts out 215 Lumens they say on the specs. Also It has 4 brightness levels. I mostly run mine at the mid setting.

There was a thread somewhere This guy was comparing his 30 watt halogen bike light to it and the Fenix was still brighter. He had pics and everything. At only $63 its the best light you can buy for the money. Its also really light, mines about 81g And you don't have to mess with wiring or anything. You just have to rig up a mounting bracket for it. I plan on getting another 1 So i will have dual. You can buy Lithium cells for about $1.50 each or the rechargable lithiums for about $4 each.

Don't bother with the P1 or P2D versions, they only hold 1 cell and give off heat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    For some decent light with the latest technologies you can find Cateye Double shot's in the $140 range and some similar Cygolyte's200 and 300's.
    Both these lights are good solid setups for what I consider to be a steal.
    I found some nice deals a few weeks ago on these sites;
    Pricepoint,Jensonusa and eBay.
    I'm sure many people will chime in with many other options but my thought is;
    HID's are too expensive, Halogens are cheap but past their prime. LED's offer good run times with a great amount of light-many comparable to HID's.
    Don't cheap out! Spend the most money you can afford but remember-you'll have these for a while. It's not a good deal when you buy a cheap light only to realize it's sub-par.

Eric S

viva la v-brakes!
    Bike specific equipment is always up-priced.

Check out the Princeton Tec Apex Extreme. $80 for a 3W LED. I've modified my regular Apex to take a Seoul P4 LED emitter for more light output. Add a little dual-lock velcro to the back and it could be mounted to a helmet or stem. A different beam pattern but about as bright as my wife's $250 Dinotte.

The best part is that it uses normal AA batteries, meaning you can run it on inexpensive rechargeable batteries and save a lot of money and hassle that way, and have spare batteries at any convenience store if you need them.

The cool thing about the Extreme is the remote battery pack and the possibility of using up to 8 batteries. So you can have 3-4 hours of runtime with 4 NiMH AA batteries or 6-8 with 8 batteries!
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    buy this
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10451
    and this.
    http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1256
    get a cheap $1.99 bike light at wal-mart, take off handlebar mount off cheap light. glue it to the 4-cree flashlight. unscrew battery holder to the 4-cree light, solder connection to the 4-cree light inside (+ center, - outside ring). seal it with silicone. you have yourself a 3 hour on high-12 hour on low 400 lumen light for under $100. you have to unplug and replug to get differnet 3- mode, unless you want to put in a reverse switch.

mtbr member
    Try the old luxeon IIIs from Ayup that are on special. You can get two lights for A$45, add a battery and pouch for A$36, a charger for A$36 and mounts for about A$15 and you have a decent set for about US$130 with shipping.

They offer an "at cost" upgrade program if you want to spend more money in the future.

http://www.ayup.com.au/specials.php

Tim