swag ho Administrator

Which beam pattern do you prefer?

I'm testing a bunch of lights and the beam ranges from narrow, wide with spot, to wide.

Which beam pattern do you prefer? Which would you use for your bar, for your helmet?

Also, which color do you prefer?

The lights are 6 feet away from the wall

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by francois; 12-07-2007 at 04:31 PM.
    IPA will save America

Code Burr
    L for helmet, R for HBar. Is the right one a halogen? The beam looks a bit yellow. The left one looks like a dinotte.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    L for helmet, R for HBar.
    I agree.

Do It Yourself
    I like a powerful medium flood to spot on the helmet and a weaker flood on the bars. I need the helmet light to be stronger because I need to throw it out and illuminate everything 10-20 yds ahead. The bar light doesn't need to be that strong because it's just for front fill peripheral vision and filling in the gap between the helmet light (where I'm looking) and the front of the bike.

Out of the two you show, the one on the left doesn't have a big enough hot spot for me to use for anything. Maybe a good back up but that's it. It needs to be twice as big with still good spill. The one on the right is probably overkill for the bar. The one on the right isn't ideal for the helmet either as I would rather have a brighter tighter pattern but still with some spill.

That's my .2 cents (void where prohibited, no cash value).
    Long Live Long Rides

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    L for helmet, R for HBar. Is the right one a halogen? The beam looks a bit yellow. The left one looks like a dinotte.
    The left one is a Light and Motion Stella. The right one is a new company called Light On. http://lightonlights.com/product/ Both are LED.

I'm using both as an example since The Stella is the narrowest the the Light On is the widest.

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IPA will save America

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Out of the two you show, the one on the left doesn't have a big enough hot spot for me to use for anything. Maybe a good back up but that's it. It needs to be twice as big with still good spill. The one on the right is probably overkill for the bar. The one on the right isn't ideal for the helmet either as I would rather have a brighter tighter pattern but still with some spill.

That's my .2 cents (void where prohibited, no cash value).
    Good insight.

The one on the left has a very narrow hotspot. I'm finding that I don't like narrow hotspots. In fact, I don't like hotspots. I'd rather have a beam that is evenly distributed for the helmet light.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like no hotspots and prefer peripheral spill on any light I use. I prefer even beams and if the width does not compromise the reach, I'll take good width. Otherwise, I like medium width with decent reach. I loved the width of the ARC but I now have the Betty as well as the Wilma so the width is not a problem. I'll tell you what though- the evenness of the beam is fantastic. I like that a lot. No more bouncing spots for me.

So wider is better as long as reach is not compromised to a degree where it is a problem at 30 mph.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't like narrow hot spots either, but like Flyer, distance is a priority. I like the ARC because it combines fill along with a powerful spot for distance. The Dinotte 600L narrow beam provides plenty of spread without hot spots and doesn't sacrifice distance. I wouldn't want anything wider than what the narrow beam has to offer. I would imagine that the wide beam version simply wastes light at the expense of distance.

For road riding in the range of 20 - 30 mph you need > 200 ft of site distance; what is happening to either side of the front wheel is not that important.

I don't use a helmet light, but for the bars I like the pattern on the right better at first blush. Kind of hard to tell from a spot on the wall but the spot on the left looks a bit too narrow to be very useful. Still, the light on the left looks similar to the ARC(?), and the ARC works really well.
    Last edited by Cino; 12-07-2007 at 06:21 PM.

mtbr member
    The light on the right is similar to my helmet light, smooth wide hotspot. My handlebar light is similar but the hotspot is twice as wide and not as bright. The combination has been perfect for night rides in tight eastern singletrack but is probably not the most ideal for open desert conditions where throw is more useful.

I have become very critical of the color of LED's. I prefer a greenish yellow over "pure white". The greenish yellow makes leaves, straw, and dirt appear much more natural. The pure white to bluish white has a colder stale appearance on the trail.

Fueled by Wahoo's

That's a very interesting comment...

Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    I have become very critical of the color of LED's. I prefer a greenish yellow over "pure white". The greenish yellow makes leaves, straw, and dirt appear much more natural. The pure white to bluish white has a colder stale appearance on the trail.
    I never really thought about how the relative color of a light may affect my enjoyment of the ride. Now I have another criteria to consider!