Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Not something I really want to stuff up, you know?
    Ya, I would hate for you to mess up those shiny new 18650s.

Killer b.
    Ok, so I've found out how to wire up the battery packs, and I've gone ahead and down one. It's not the world's neatest battery, but with all the cells side by side it fits easily in a hip pocket. I'll take a photo fo the completed pack later.

Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-8735789459_05011db730_c.jpg

Also, all my stuff came back from the anodizers and I've done a bunch of wiring up. It's always good to know that what I plan in my head works in practice, even if it's crazy fiddly. The wire I'm using is really stiff and doesn't much like to bend, but it's good and heat resistant, and should carry current really well. So I've got the light wired and running, and as I type, it is under the black light setting the glue that will hold in the optics. This is UV glue from Loc-tite. It is used to hold in watch crystals. Really strong, has a bit of flex, and will resist whatever heat the lights manage to subject it to. When this is done I'll be going to town with a bit of Sugru.

Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-8736909564_06b75e026c_c.jpg
    Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-8736909904_eed3b746d0_c.jpg
    Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-8735791169_2b07943770_c.jpg
    Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-8735791565_220ae652db_c.jpg
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

A waste of time it is is
    That is pure Gold Blair

Looking really good.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Fantastic Blair and just in time for winter.

Glad I read the description and not just look at the pictures as I was wondering what the black light was for, apart from a mini rave in your workshop

mtbr member
    very tidy, looks great! I'd just add some strain relief for your battery cable if you haven't already. No balance tap?

looking forward to the beam shots already!

Killer b.
    Finished.

Well almost... Just need to seal up a couple of holes and re-jig the power cable from my last light, but rode home from work with it last night.... on low of course.

I'm pleased. It projects a solid wall of light right where I want it, and shining it around the garden last night it seems to have plenty of throw. I'll be hitting up the forest tonight for it's first proper test.

Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-8739882134_682e4a74cf_c.jpg
    switch held in with Sugru. I left the cap off overnight to set.
    Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-8739883438_c2ca56ede9_c.jpg
    Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-8739882818_18b432480c_c.jpg
    Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-8739884982_cbac7c930a_c.jpg
    Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-8738767171_27e05ccdee_c.jpg
    This should give an idea of beam shape, but doesn't tell you anything about the actual intensity. I'll take some proper beam shots outside sometime soon.
    Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-8739884400_4f3c797d9c_c.jpg
    Old and new. I haven't weighed the lights, but the Hex is 90 grams lighter than the flux, so overall it's a lot lighter.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Killer b.
    Trail tested last night...... I finally have the amount of light I've always wanted. (At least on my helmet.... Now I just need to build the bar set.)

I have a 24 hour relay race this weekend... Should be interesting.

Beam shots to follow.

mtbr member
    looking good! Can't wait for the beamshots and race report. I imagine that you'll be casting many shadows

As for the bar light - the mind boggles. I expect at least a twin triple MT-G2. At least

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post

As for the bar light - the mind boggles. I expect at least a twin triple MT-G2. At least
    ... or drive two mt-g2 to their full glory with your copper-cooling-system reaching 3'000 lumens at about 5.5A!

mtbr member
    pft, I see your twin MT-G2 at 5.5A and raise you 16 XM-L2 at 1.25A with watercooling!

Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-led2.jpg

mtbr member
    The new light sounds great but for some reason I cant see the images has something changed in the new forum that I should do to see them

Killer b.
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb View Post
    The new light sounds great but for some reason I cant see the images has something changed in the new forum that I should do to see them
    Yeah, something went a bit screwy with the forum a couple of weeks ago and a bunch of attachments got lost.

I'm on my phone at moment and can't attach anything new but you should be able to see all the photos on Flickr. Search user teebeeess.

Killer b.
    So I don't know why the attachments all disappeared, but since I never did post up any beam shots, I snapped some with my phone tonight in the driveway. The phone tends to auto adjust to the light, so I had to time it right to try to get an accurate indication of the amount of light output. The photos don't show it but there is considerable difference between the light levels.
    I have the max power set to level 4 of 5 until I get around to adding another cell to my pack to stop the forward voltage sagging too much, so I've taken beam shots on levels 3 and 4. You do get a really good idea of the shape and intensity of the beam. As you will see, it is octagonal in shape, and fairly wide with no hotspot. and very little spill. It also throws as far as I need it too. I like having bar lights with really wide spill to fill in the stuff in my peripheral vision, so I shot one each with helmet and bar lights on both low and then both high. I had the helmet pointed up a bit high for the high/high shot, but you get the idea.

Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-helmet.jpgcontrolBazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-control.jpglowBazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-helmetlevel3.jpghighBazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-hemetlevel4.jpglow/lowBazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-lowlow.jpghigh/highBazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-highhigh.jpg

Killer b.
    Here's another beam shot for you.
    Not from a bike ride, but we spent a few hours crawling around in some caves yesterday and I figured you can never have too much light, even deep underground. I ran it on level 1 unless I wanted to see everything, in which case I turned it back up to level 4.

Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-caving.jpg

Killer b.

Time for a thread dredge.

After using these for a couple of years as a helmet light I tired of the beam pattern of the MTG-2 and aspheric optic, and made a new set using twin triple XP-G 3s.
    Eventually I decided to re-purpose these light heads as bar lights.
    I ended up using two quad XP-G 3 boards with 25mm Khatod optics run off a B3-Flex at 3 amps. They are wired 4s2p. Due to a bit of a stuff-up I have one neutral white light head, and one yellow, but so far I quite like the resulting tint, and the light output is quite decent.

Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-img_5652.jpg
    Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-img_5651.jpg
    Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-img_5656.jpg
    Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-img_5660.jpg
    Last edited by The Understater; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:12 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice rebuild!
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Nice one. Are those the lights I anodised? Soooo long ago now

Killer b.
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72 View Post
    Nice one. Are those the lights I anodised? Soooo long ago now
    No, I just took those off the bike to fit these. These have more light and more even flood, and they are much less of a pain to mount and dis-mount. I haven't given up on them though. I have a couple of spare XP-L HI intensity leds that I just re-flowed onto 16mm noctigon copper pcbs. I originally bought noctigon triples with XP-L HIs for my current double triple helmet set up, but I found the Carclo triples couldn't deal with the bigger die size, so I replaced them with XP-G 3s... four of which I de-domed using the heat-gun method. I have had the XP-Ls sitting around doing nothing ever since, but I have been wondering how well they would go replacing my old XMLs in the Regina reflectors.

Actually I spent a large chunk of the morning today stuffing about with these lights. They worked perfectly initially, but then one of the light heads suddenly dimmed down to barely any output. It seemed the board was not accepting the current, so since the boards are wired in parallel, the other board would get almost double the current. The overall output was about the same as one side was being massively over-driven, seeing close to 3 amps on high beam. The leds were handling it but the light head was getting seriously hot seriously quickly.
    After pulling out the offending board this morning and doing some tests, I figured that I must have one dodgy led or something, but wasn't sure which one. I had a scrap board that I had accidentally damaged trying to get the optics in, scraping the domes and most of the phosphor off two of the leds, so I decided to experiment with some re-flowing. It was actually super easy and I replaced all four XP-G 3s with XPL-HIs. The bigger Khatod optics seem much better able to handle them, and the light output is pretty decent. I'm not driving them hard at all at 1.5 amps each and I'm getting a really good beam.

Here's a daylight shot of the set-up.
    Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-img_5662.jpg

And here are the switch and driver housings... both of which clip to the bar using clips I machined out of acetal, and bodged together using Polymorph with black pigment mixed in. It is now very easy to mount and un-mount them, but I can leave the wires, switch, driver in place while taking the light-heads off to flip the bike over to lube the chain. I used some modified Hope quick release mounts.
    Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)-img_5663.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12