mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Battery voltage question.

I have an old Niterider battery holder canister. It holds 5 D cell batteries. I've used it in the past w/ rechargeable 1.2v NIMH. It holds 5 batteries. Would using 5 1.5v Alkaline batteries achieve a 25% overvolt. Are the Alkaline batteries as strong as far as powering the light.

Thanks

MB

My Rusty Knee
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323
    I have an old Niterider battery holder canister. It holds 5 D cell batteries. I've used it in the past w/ rechargeable 1.2v NIMH. It holds 5 batteries. Would using 5 1.5v Alkaline batteries achieve a 25% overvolt. Are the Alkaline batteries as strong as far as powering the light.

Thanks

MB
    Stick with the nimh. Alks start at a higher voltage, but have quite high internal resistance and their voltge drops more linearly throughout discharge. Nimh start lower. but the voltage drop is flatter, it then drops off more suddenly at the end of discharge.

the nimh will have a higher voltage at the 2nd half of discharge.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Alkalines won't even give higher voltage at the start of discharge if you're running a relatively high power light, due to the high internal resistance - stick to the NiMH.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Stu and Cr.

I knew you all would know the difference.

MB