mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Battery Suggestion for Dinotte 500L

I am looking for a little bigger battery in addtion to the two that came with the light. I believe the batteries are 7.4 volt, 4000 mAh. I would like to go to about 6000 mAh so that I could get close to 8 hours on medium power. Dinotte sells replacement batteries, but their price seems pretty steep.

Any suggestions or possible problems with using a different battery would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    try anthony over at www.trinitybicycles.com they sell the 300L and the500L

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

batteries

Using batteries not intended for your 500L can void your warranty so be very careful. I'm not sure what you mean by steep pricing.. I think if you look at our online store, our batteries are quite the value compared to the industry pricing.

We do not offer larger batteries than what comes with the 500L

As for other dealers, Frank's post was incorrect. Currently the 500L/300L is direct only.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob@dinottelighting
    Using batteries not intended for your 500L can void your warranty so be very careful. I'm not sure what you mean by steep pricing.. I think if you look at our online store, our batteries are quite the value compared to the industry pricing.

We do not offer larger batteries than what comes with the 500L

As for other dealers, Frank's post was incorrect. Currently the 500L/300L is direct only.

Rob;

I agree that your prices aren't bad for Lithium Ion batteries, but what is special about the Dinotte batteries- built in voltage regulation, etc. that would make other batteries unacceptable? If Dinotte batteries are off the shelf units repackaged (I can't imagine you have your own battery production facility) then I can't see you objecting too much if someone has a special need that you don't have an option for and goes somewhere else.

I ask because I have the Dinotte taillight (best bike taillight ever), but asking 4 AA batteries to power a 3W light seems a bit much and I get very short battery life- by this I don't mean initial burn time. I mean that after just a dozen or so uses the battery life so declines (and I've used a number of different brands) that it becomes nearly useless as a 3W light. I don't think there's anything wrong with the light or the concept, just that AA NiMh batteries weren't meant for that rate of discharge and wear too soon. Since you don't have a C or D battery pack available I've been thinking of building my own. Most of me electronics design has been in logic level circuits, so I can't say I understand power LEDs very well, but I was led to believe (by 'experts' on this and other sites) that your lights had internal voltage/current regulation, so they weren't too finicky about batteries as long as you got the polarity right.
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Battery question

I cannot answer this question completely and fully without it looking like a solicitation, so I'd suggest you contact us directly and ask your question using standard email.

Generically your question about li ion batteries should be answered this way: Li ion batteries are designed for certain charge and discharge rates as are their protection circuits.

In addition, it should not be the job of a manufacturer to build a light that will work with any battery of X voltage. To take an example to an extreme, suppose you built a 2 cell li ion battery using 800mAh cells for the application - throw theory out the window as the battery just couldn't handle the discharge -- then we get calls/emails about a light not working equipment gets mailed back and forth across the country, and in truth all of our time (customer and supplier can be spent more effectively)

Going the DIY way is great. We applaud all those who do it, but to try to mix it between manufacturer and DIY can put the manufacturer in a strange position. (any manufacturer, not just us)

If you do have a bone to pick, it's with manufacturers who charge outrageous rates for batteries for ANY consumer product. Given we have products that use both standard and proprietary products, I think we earn a "get out of jail free card" on that charge.

mtbr member
    I cannot answer this question completely and fully without it looking like a solicitation, so I'd suggest you contact us directly and ask your question using standard email.

Generically your question about li ion batteries should be answered this way: Li ion batteries are designed for certain charge and discharge rates as are their protection circuits.

In addition, it should not be the job of a manufacturer to build a light that will work with any battery of X voltage. To take an example to an extreme, suppose you built a 2 cell li ion battery using 800mAh cells for the application - throw theory out the window as the battery just couldn't handle the discharge -- then we get calls/emails about a light not working equipment gets mailed back and forth across the country, and in truth all of our time (customer and supplier can be spent more effectively)

Going the DIY way is great. We applaud all those who do it, but to try to mix it between manufacturer and DIY can put the manufacturer in a strange position. (any manufacturer, not just us)

If you do have a bone to pick, it's with manufacturers who charge outrageous rates for batteries for ANY consumer product. Given we have products that use both standard and proprietary products, I think we earn a "get out of jail free card" on that charge.
    I will send an email. I don't think I had a bone to pick about price. If I remember, I think I said your price for the Lithium Ion battery pack didn't seem that bad.

On the other hand, to assist DIYers who may need a battery solution you don't provide, then providing basic (and clear) information about the voltage/amperage requirements of your products would be a big help- (min. voltage, maximum voltage, current draw). I understand you wouldn't be able to custom engineer or troubleshoot for a DIYer.

One thing you might be able to tell me without it looking too much like a solicitation- especially since I asked, are all the 5 watt lights you're selling now the 200 lumen version? Your web site still lists them as 120 lumen.
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Currently the 500L/300L is direct only.
    In the US maybe - there would appear to be at least one non-direct source in a different country who claims to have stock...