mtbr member
    Jan 2009

battery question

If I would take 2 protected 18650 cells, connect them in serie and charge them with a 8.4V charger, would I get any troubles? My limited knowledge say no but I'm not sure how the protection circuit would reaction...
    Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whattingh
    If I would take 2 protected 18650 cells, connect them in serie and charge them with a 8.4V charger, would I get any troubles? My limited knowledge say no but I'm not sure how the protection circuit would reaction...
    Any thoughts?

As long as the charger is a "smart charger" designed for Li-ion and cuts off at 8.4 volts you ( most likely ) shouldn't have any *problems, however this not the best way to charge protected cells. If the cells are *loose ( *not soldered ) it would be better to charge each cell separately to 4.2 volts in a charger designed to do so. Of course if you have the cells soldered together in series there could be some problems if the cells are not of equal quality and are not reaching their maximum voltage rating. Commercially built batteries safeguard this by using an external PCB to make sure the cells are balanced. You can do as you say but if it were me, I wouldn't do it your way. If your going to do it this way I would recommend watching over it very carefully towards the end of the charge. If you could test each cell separately with a digital voltage meter towards the end, that should give you an indication whether of not both cells are charging to their max peak voltage ( ea. @ 4.2 volts )

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Could you sugguest any unprotected cells from DX