mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Battery option for Turbocat.

I recently bought a new Turbocat s47. This is the dual light model w/ a 12w and 35w bulb. The stock battery has a short run time. I bought it because it was a fantastic deal. After looking at the unit, I can tell you this is a very nice quality light.

I'm looking for a better battery. Weight is not an issue. I've seen the battery options at batteryspace.com. Anybody have any better options? NiMH 13.2v or 14.4v. Also, I'd like to use the Turbocat connectors and am wondering who would professionally rewire the battery and charger connectors. Local electrician, etc.

Thanks, MB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Goodaye MB

I'm no battery expert, but as i see it you have several options - depending on what your needs are. I am assuming you: use a drink bottle holder for the 'cat battey, will continue to use the bar mounts, use a camelback.

1. Buy a replacement battery from Turbocat and store it in your camelback. You will retain full waranty, wont have to change connections etc etc. You may pay a bit more and you will have a bulky battery.

2. Buy a compete drink bottle style battery form batteryspace (or a number of other suppliers - do a search on this forum) - i think you will find that they can supply all the fittings you need. Make sure you check compatability with your existing 'cat charger - or buy a battery/charger combo

3. Buy a Li-ion battery/charger combo (smaller, lighter and more expensive) You will have less storage issues in your camelback, but you will need to find a spot to mount it on the frame. Again - the supplier will mots likely be able to sell you a strap on bag for this purpose. The supplier should be able to sell you the connections to make compatible with the 'cat lights.

If the supplier of batteries cannot sell connections - then good electrical suppliers should be able to help.

In terms of doing the wiring - if you are confident and have the right tools and knowledge (solder iron etc etc) then give it a crack yourself. Do a search on this forum - it will lead you in the right direction. If not, a sparky should be able to do it in a matter of minutes.

Hope this has helped.

Iain

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks J, My once a week nite rides are about 4 hrs. I was hoping to get better than a 5K mAh battery. I think for me it would be better to have someone wire it and do all the connections correct.

I know Lithium would do what I need however, I'm nervous about having such a battery on my bike, especially underneath me if it's not wired by the light manufacturer. I've heard they can explode violently if there is a short. The Turbocat battery is 2.5 Amp/hr NiCad or 4 w/ the NiMH. $150 on sale however, easy. The Batteryspace is 5 amp/hr at about $70 delivered w/ a smart charger. Can't seem to find a 6 amp/hr which would be ideal.

Thanks for your input.

MB

mtbr member
    You can also check the batteryspace connectors in their water bottle batteries as they may be the same as the turbo cat; also look at their adapters. You may be able to use one of their batteries without re-wiring the battery.

Tim