mtbr member

Battery holder for a newbie?

I do a lot of 12v wiring but have never built my own battery packs so I'm a total newbie to this and hope to get some simple answers. I have a LED light that I'm trying to get dual use out of and was hoping to get some guidance on the best method/parts to build a battery pack.

The light is a Vision X Solstice Solo LED:

Solstice Solo - LED, HID, and Halogen Lighting | Off Road, Mining, Marine, Agriculture, Defense, Industrial, Commercial, Automotive,

10W
    0.75A draw @ 12v

The company mostly targets offroad vehicles, motorcycles, etc. I have this light on my campervan for exterior area lighting. Vision X sells a Li-Ion battery pack for this model but it is $130-150. Extremely pricey for only the few times that I would use it per season.

I don't need a long run time (1-2 hrs.) and have a charger that accepts AAs, Cs, Ds, etc. (both NiCad and NIMH). I was looking to run rechargeables or standard alkalines in a pinch (e.g. when touring or on a trip when its easier to just buy new batteries). I'm not sure if AAs or Cs would be the better choice (just dictates Ah, right?).

That being said, is there a recommended holder style? I'm searching and reading through the forum but wanted to get my question out there. Any advise, suggestions or links to threads I haven't found yet would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Ventana El Rey
    Felt F35
    Schwinn High Plains

Project - Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    for clarity on what you're asking - are you looking for a cheap way to use this light as a bike light?

If so - helmet or bar mounted?

I can't find much info on the internals of the VisionX - since it isn't usually used as a bike light or flashlight, there don't appear to be a lot of "what's inside" kind of teardowns.

but - if the light is a 10watt LED and 800-900 advertised output- I'm guessing it is something like a Cree MC-E or Seoul P7 style emitter. The numbers line up. Based on that guess, there's a buck driver inside, which still leaves a lot of variables, but for a 2 hour runtime, you could only need a 2000-3000mah capacity pack for it.

Researching the smaller batteryback they sell for the light - it is a 2200mah, 16volt pack.

I'm not sure if that is an internally regulated 16volts - but it should be a 5cell pack in series. Pre-built 5 cell packs are a bit rare, but this light can operate from 9v - 50v.

If you wanted to wire up Nicads, 10cells in series would be 12v, and if you use 1800mah or better cells, you should get 2.5ish hours of runtime off it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    as far as a holder if you're using individual cells, try making holders out of PVC pipe? Think of making something like a Maglight body out of PVC pipe with screw on endcaps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    for clarity on what you're asking - are you looking for a cheap way to use this light as a bike light?
    Yes. I would like to use it as a trail riding/touring light and want to see if a cheaper solution to the $150 commercially made pack is possible. At the same time, I do not want to damage the light so that is why I'm here trying to learn.

If so - helmet or bar mounted?
    Mounted to the handlebar. I have a Dinotte that can go on the helmet.

I can't find much info on the internals of the VisionX - since it isn't usually used as a bike light or flashlight, there don't appear to be a lot of "what's inside" kind of teardowns.

but - if the light is a 10watt LED and 800-900 advertised output- I'm guessing it is something like a Cree MC-E or Seoul P7 style emitter. The numbers line up. Based on that guess, there's a buck driver inside, which still leaves a lot of variables, but for a 2 hour runtime, you could only need a 2000-3000mah capacity pack for it.

Researching the smaller batteryback they sell for the light - it is a 2200mah, 16volt pack.

I'm not sure if that is an internally regulated 16volts - but it should be a 5cell pack in series. Pre-built 5 cell packs are a bit rare, but this light can operate from 9v - 50v.

If you wanted to wire up Nicads, 10cells in series would be 12v, and if you use 1800mah or better cells, you should get 2.5ish hours of runtime off it.
    Thanks for the info. The only data I have on the light is what you see on the website so I would trust your assumptions. There is nothing helpful in the inserts that came with it.

Would there be anything wrong with getting a 10-AA battery holder and trying these rechargeable batteries that I already have? - AA E-cell

They behave like a NiMH battery and rated at 2500mAh. The holders are cheap so I won't be out much if these batteries aren't ideal. I've been using them in the AA holders of my Dinotte lights and they have worked well. I already have 10+ of them.

Thanks!
    Last edited by zanq; 10-22-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    Ventana El Rey
    Felt F35
    Schwinn High Plains

Project - Surly Ogre

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zanq View Post
    Would there be anything wrong with getting a 10-AA battery holder and trying these rechargeable batteries that I already have? - AA E-cell

They behave like a NiMH battery and rated at 2500mAh. The holders are cheap so I won't be out much if these batteries aren't ideal. I've been using them in the AA holders of my Dinotte lights and they have worked well. I already have 10+ of them.

Thanks!
    My only concern is if they can handle the current demand that you see typically with bike lighting.

But since your light advertises a .75A draw (I'm assuming at full power) than that's pretty low.

I don't think you'd have much issue with it, and I don't think it would hurt to try those batteries, esp. since you already own them. I would suggest a test run with them, put a voltmeter on the pack and watch for the voltage falling off quickly after say 20-30 minutes, and monitor them closely for building up much heat. that would signal that they're having too much draw put on them.