mtbr member
    Jun 2007

basic city use light??

hi all,

first time poster here, i had a quick search but didnt find too much so here goes.....

some thieving toe rag decided to kindly borrow my LED front light and handle bar mount last night so I am looking to get another one - Cant remember the brand i had before but it wasnt great.

I would like a self contained light so nothing with an external battery pack, something that i can easily slip into a pocket or small bag. i had a look at a cat eye hl 530 but heard the beam pattern is not very good?????????

if someone can recommend something that would be great but not too expensive either please.

thanks in advance rob.

Spanish biker
    Hi, welcome fluff34567

If you look for a light to ride for the city, any simple light will are enought, the light that you said are a good example and one excellent option.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the reply, found out a friend of mine has an el530 - i tried it and the light is a bit poor - has lots of dark rings and is not very focused ( has a wide scatter) so is ok for right in front of the bike but not at any distance.

i live out of town a bit so will be going along some dark lanes so something with a decent beam would be nice....

any other suggestions please?

Do It Yourself
    I've been looking at brevet lights recently and bought a couple to try, one of which is the EL530. The EL530 beam is very poorly focused. It has a very tight hot spot and the rest is big rings of light and dark. I'm definitely going to return it.

Try some real commuting lights like the Busch & Müller Ixon:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m.asp
    http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html?docu/vision-e.htm

The Ixon is a self-contained 4xAA light like the EL530 but it's supposed to be a much better beam pattern. The front brake mount is a very nice feature as well as it gets it off the handlebars so the cables aren't blocking your light.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi Rob
    I just bought a BLT Ozone 9ine -uses 3 aaa's and nice beam and runtime.
    http://tinyurl.com/yoc724

There is only one mode -on/off and it has a nice QR barmount with L/R swivel.
    I replaced the emitter with a Seoul -but don't think it was really necessary.

Edit:-Whoops -just read the reviews on it -barmount doesn't seem that long-lasting!

Cheers
    Dom
    Last edited by poobardog; 06-08-2007 at 08:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    ok thanks for the page - guess ur in the uk? so how has the light been so far any probs with the mount?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi Rob - no probs so far -but i think there may be. Not really designed for hard use.
    I think i might try and attach the bar mount more permanently as i don't think the rubber will hold out.
    Still like the light though -pretty handy for around work.
    I'm from Australia
    Cheers
    Dom

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    ok thanks for the info, i wont be using it for hard use at all, so might get one.