mtbr member

Ayups putting in XMLs

Been asked to do a set of ayups and wondered about putting in some XMLs

already started on a Lflex module

what do you reckon the max drive they would cope with

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    3 amps!

cant wait to see these finished... theyll make a fantastic looking and nicely bright little light set..!

mtbr member
    I thought this was about Ayups actually using XM-Ls I wasn't aware that they'd even moved on to XP-Gs yet..

3A with thermal dimming at 60C and a big notice hanging down in front of the users face telling them to switch to a lower setting when climbing/ stationary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    I thought this was about Ayups actually using XM-Ls I wasn't aware that they'd even moved on to XP-Gs yet..

3A with thermal dimming at 60C and a big notice hanging down in front of the users face telling them to switch to a lower setting when climbing/ stationary.

I think just the big sign as cannot do the thermal protection there is no room anywhere for the driver .

here is the Lflex and switch potted in that Serious glue I am hopeing it will be flexible enough to operate the switch . might take a couple of days to cure to that thickness .

help with the zip please
    Chris if you are talking about swapping out the LEDs in a proprietary brand Ay-Up light set I doubt they would be able to handle the heat of xml at full tilt. I haven't properly tried the xml yet so not sure just how hot they get but given how small the pods are and the fact that even the new upgrade available only drives the LED @ 700mA, I would be genuinely surprised if they could handle 2A let alone the full 3A.

If its a Troutie clone then throw in some round bottom fins somewhere and try your luck.

Mat, Ay-Up are selling an upgrade lit to the latest "R2" bin but I can't find anywhere on their site what LEDs they actually use other than "Cree X-Lamp"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet

I popped a pair of XMLs and an Lflex into a new helmet light I've not quite finished. It was designed for 2 x XPG @1.5A but I happen to have some XMLs waiting for a bar mounted housing that I haven't started yet, and thought it was a shame for them to sit in a drawer.

Did the usual thing and immediately set the drive current to max to see what 1800-odd lumens looked like. Indoors, the thermal cutout tripped at about 2 minutes (before the spots had cleared from my vision) but even on reduced power the temperature didn't go down.

Outside at 2 degrees it still tripped after about 4 mins. I reduced the drive to 2.5A, then to 2A which just about works.

Conclusion, 3A needs a lot of surface area and I'd be surprised if ayups have enough even for a single XML at that level. Be interesting to see what Troutie comes up with; if anyone can make it work he can.

mtbr member
    I think you'll be lucky with 1.5 Amp without thernal protection.

Nice switch on the board mount thing. I will copy that one

mtbr member
    mmm be a shame to waste 4 xmls so will probably go with XPGs seeing as thermal protection is not possible. thanks for your inputs. always best to get other views before rushing in

help with the zip please
    Chris, I doubt they'll handle the heat from two xpg at 1.5A.

I updated the bflex in my triple regina xpg last week to a b2flex and rode with it last night for the first time, set at 1.5A. It didn't last more than about three or 4 minutes on high before tripping with thermal set at 60*c and that was going downhill. Medium, actual L4, was fine. I will note ambient was better than 28*c and it had my head working as a radiator just below but still, even in your cool climate I just don't think there is enough surface area in the ay-up to drive them at full tilt

mtbr member
    nice solution with the inline switch/driver thing

mtbr member
    Isn't there loss with the driver remote like this?
    Not clear from the thread, but I presume you're upgrading a set of someone else's Ay-ups with a decent driver and better LEDs, right?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent
    Isn't there loss with the driver remote like this?
    The only significant loss is the inability to use the thermal sensing.