mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Ayup road kit or HID Technologies 13w HID

Hey guys,

This lightset will be for riding along paved bike tracks for training - no singletrack etc. Aswell as road use from time to time.

I'm torn between these two lights:

Ayup Road Kit $270 AUD

HID Technologies Trailtech 13watt HID with NiMh Battery $360 AUD (can upgrade to li-ion for $60 more)

The HID Technologies Lumen8r LED light looks great but maybe is out of my range at $455. It sure looks like it lights up the stage though!

Does anybody have opinions for this comparison?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Ayup
    13W HID is overkill for paved tracks.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    I 2nd the Ayup. It should be plenty for what you would use it for and you don't have to worry about broken or burnt out HID bulbs. Plus HID lights take a while to get up to full brightness and can't be turned on and off a lot like you could with led lights.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had a Trailtech 30W that I mainly used for commuting on very dark bike paths and I felt heaps safer compared to the Halogen setup I had before. However the stupid thing broke and the bulbs and ballasts cost a fortune. I put a 12V Halogen bulb in it for about $3.00and now have a much nicer halogen setup than I had before but not as nice as the HID.

In my opinion you can never have too much light although you really want control. When on the odd occasion someone came the other way I would put my hand over the light.

I hate it when people come the other way with helmet lights. They are great for single track but absolutely horrible for other path users. In theory you should be able to look away but it seems everyone looks straight at you blinding you. Also as the light moves around it is much harder to tell how far away it is compared to a nice still handle bar light which makes judging time of passing each other harder.

Based on the expense of fixing HID unless you want a Halogen setup once it breaks go for LED. I could be tempted to get Ayup with lots of extra handlebar clips when you order it so you don't pay postage on small items later. For commuting put both twin lights on the bar. Then if you go in a 24race or need lights on single track at night you can use them on the handlebars and helmet. If you have more than one bike think about ordering evne more handle clips for the other bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

no such thing as "overkill" in lighting

Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    Ayup
    13W HID is overkill for paved tracks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks guys,

The road kit only comes with 1 pair of (twin)lights not 2...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sevencycle

I somewhat agree, but there is such a thing as a sufficient amount of light for a given situation. For paved bike paths 1 ayup lighthead which is supposed to put out over 300 lumens is acceptable. If it were me I would rather get an Ayup MTB set with two lightheads, but then that will be pushing Haydos budget. Although the HID light puts out more lumens than a single Ayup lighthead, I would not go with HID because of it's shortcomings. I used HID for a number of years, but their time is past it seems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    A few years ago some idiots were putting ropes across the bike paths at night, then when a cyclist hit the rope and came off very injured they would steal their back packs etc.

To me sufficient light for paved bike paths is enough light to see a rope across the path. My 30WT HID was enough, my 30WT Halogen is not however now I am overvolting it by using the battery that came with the HID it is much better.

It really depends on whether you are talking cycle paths in the bush with no lights at all which Canberra has heaps of. If riding on well light cycle paths then you really only need for other to see you however the paths I ride along are very dark and often covered with dropped branches after windy day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-crisis
    A few years ago some idiots were putting ropes across the bike paths at night, then when a cyclist hit the rope and came off very injured they would steal their back packs etc.
    I almost wish you hadn't mentioned this as it may give the idiots out there ideas and we all know that idiots don't need no *&$#@$# ideas. Nevertheless it brought back a memory from years past. I was riding down some Single track years ago when I came to a spot where ( some kids? ) had strung some old cassette tape across the trail. It wouldn't have hurt me if I had gone through it but it sure enough would have scared the crap out of me if I hadn't of seen it in time. I was able to stop before going through it. Afterwards I got off my bike and tore the stuff to threads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks again guys. Understand re HID.

If I could stretch my budget would the Lumen8r be worth spending the extra money on? or go with to the Ayup MTB Kit?

The tracks i'll be riding have no lighting, are about 1m wide, mostly with scrub on each side - it's along the yarra river in melbourne around templestowe/heidelberg/and along the eastern freeway to springvale rd etc..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haydos
    If I could stretch my budget would the Lumen8r be worth spending the extra money on? or go with to the Ayup MTB Kit?
    That is a good question. With the Ayup mountain kit you have two lightheads which is nice because you can have one on the bars and one on the helmet which is ideal plus with two lights you have a backup if one ever died. The Lumen8r led is one light head, but puts out a bit more lumens total. If you were going to ride wooded trails I would say get the Lemen8r now and save for another good light head later, but for your situation I think the Ayup with two lighthead and batteries would be an excellent choice.

When I run only my bar mounted light, I quickly miss my helmet light and when I only run my helmet light I quickly miss my bar light. When I run both together I am in night riding heaven.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have the AyUp MTB kit, narrow on the helmet and intermediate on the bars and it is fantastic... Helmet gives me light where I am looking while bars give me "peripheral" light... ie light for me to spot things I might have not been specifically looking for...

if I had to have only one light it would definately be a helmet mounted one.. you need light where you are looking not (always) where your bars are pointed...

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ
    When I run only my bar mounted light, I quickly miss my helmet light and when I only run my helmet light I quickly miss my bar light. When I run both together I am in night riding heaven.
    Perfect words that put everything about "helmet or bars" togheter, IMOH that;s how I feel