mtbr member
    Mar 2004

ayup light question

If I purchase the Intermediate light for Bars will it work well on the helmet?...(or is it just that it works better on the bars than the helmet).
    also will one set of lights (narrow or inter) work well on the trails or will I need to buy 2 (one for my bars and one for my helmet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Most riders want a narrow optic for the helmet, and a flood on the bars. This allows you to get a tight, bright spot of light on things you need to see quickly by turning your head. The flood fills in everything else with a less-intense light. The intermediate optic is the middle width optic, and will certainly work on your helmet, but might be less than ideal. It depends how picky you are, and what kind of riding you are doing. I find having a helmet light is valuable when going on singletrack trails with tight corners, or for road touring by dark for looking at signs. In both of these instances I want a narrow helmet light. But if you are biking doubletrack, along bike paths, commuting, or along trails that are mostly straight and non-technical, a wide helmet light will work just fine.

Two is always nicer, but you might start out with one and see if you need a second one. I'd start with a narrow-optic helmet light (maybe purchase the intermediate optics along with it, so that you can swap them out for handlebar use, if swapping optics can be done on the ay-up lights), and then see if you'd feel safer with two lights. The lights are expensive so I personally would try one out first. Also a thing to consider: if you are coming from standard bike lights (like ones that use alkaline AA's, your standard clip light) a light like the ay-up is already much, much brighter so you may feel that you don't need a second. But it's your call in the end!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYtailight
    Most riders want a narrow optic for the helmet, and a flood on the bars. This allows you to get a tight, bright spot of light on things you need to see quickly by turning your head. The flood fills in everything else with a less-intense light. The intermediate optic is the middle width optic, and will certainly work on your helmet, but might be less than ideal. It depends how picky you are, and what kind of riding you are doing. I find having a helmet light is valuable when going on singletrack trails with tight corners, or for road touring by dark for looking at signs. In both of these instances I want a narrow helmet light. But if you are biking doubletrack, along bike paths, commuting, or along trails that are mostly straight and non-technical, a wide helmet light will work just fine.

Two is always nicer, but you might start out with one and see if you need a second one. I'd start with a narrow-optic helmet light (maybe purchase the intermediate optics along with it, so that you can swap them out for handlebar use, if swapping optics can be done on the ay-up lights), and then see if you'd feel safer with two lights. The lights are expensive so I personally would try one out first. Also a thing to consider: if you are coming from standard bike lights (like ones that use alkaline AA's, your standard clip light) a light like the ay-up is already much, much brighter so you may feel that you don't need a second. But it's your call in the end!

Cheers
    Thanks very much....this is the kind of info I was looking for. I just bought the one light and will by another if I like it. I have a 12hr in a couple weeks but it will only be about 1hr of total darkness....but I like that this is compact.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    A mate of mine has some Ayups and he loves them. You won't be dissapointed

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    yeah, I like the ability to rotate the lights back and pop a red cover on them for tailight use. Good for commuting use. Just allows the light to be more flexible, and the case color options are sweet too!