mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Ayup / Blaast opinions

Hi just after some quick advice on ayup and Blaast lights

I've seen the websites and beam shots just after some opinions from users.

I'm in the UK and about to order one or the other. If i order the Blaast light and source the battery elsewhere from a mate then they work out about the same as the Ayups.

Now i'm having a dilemma though! Advantages of blaasts are they are brighter, good beam spread, but with the Ayups although i sacrifice some power i'll get bar and helmet for same price. I've never ridden with high powered lihgts before so not sure if i'll be happier with bar and helmet of the ayups, of just the one brighter blaast!

Need to decide ASAP I hate pressure! No one i know has any of these lights to look at so am just going from pics on the web.

If you could get them for the same price what would you get?? I know my battery will probably be a bit inferior to the proper Blaast one as well.

has anyone who ordered one or the other had any 2nd thoughts / regrets?

mtbr member
    Hi, I have the iBlaast and like it. If I were to purcase today I try the ayup but not until they
    develop some control circuit to give you low, med, hi etc. but I understand that might be 2 to 3 months out. It took about 2-3 weeks to get the iblaast to Canada via the post. So it's up to you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've got the iblaast with a batteryspace Li-ion. I like it and don't have any regrets, its a great light with an awesome beam pattern. The redundancy and other benefits of having bar and helmet lights is a big advantage to the ayups. If I could get them for about the same price I'd probably get the ayups. Total output from both systems is probably very similar. I have no real world experience with them though.
    Ayup has huge potential when they work out their new batteries and circuitry. They are only running at 500ma right now which is half the current of most leds. Ultimately I'd probably only go with ayup if I knew they could be upgraded easily when they finally get everything worked out.

sugoi chairinko
    I bought the ayup system for the 24 Hours of Moab this year. I was initially impressed by the diminutive size of the whole package, as well as the quality of the light heads. I also have a HID, and although the ayup is not quite as bright, it's close. But they are so small you hardly know the are on your head (or handlebar). It's an impressive system, for sure, and with the the potential to upgrade them as new technology becomes available, I figured it was a pretty safe deal. I had a small problem with one of the light heads working a little loose, and I returned it to Darren at the race, and although I haven't yet had my light returned, they've emailed me half a dozen times, called my office, and my cell phone to make sure I knew what was going on. All in all, I'm super satisfied with the setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    seems like the ayups are winning then

Got to admit i do like the smallness and neatness of design

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Andrew

I got the Ayups a few weeks ago.

The 3 chaps i ride with all have the Light and motion HIDs. To be honist they all provide about the same amout of light. The good/better thing with the AYups is the fact you have a helmet mounted light, i have found this to be mopst usefull when on tracks that are un-known you can look where you are going the handle bar lights only go where the bike points if too twisty you can easily loose the track.

I have a medium on the bar and inter on the head.

took 4 days from Oz to here.

If you need any other piccys ect let me know.

Laters

Dom

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm also in a similar dilemma. I'm doing an upcoming night 6 hour race consisting mostly of very technical singletrack and was wondering if the Ayup combo would be fine to use (it'll also be used for road and mountain training throughout the year) It is really well priced and my other option is a single HID for exactly the same price w/one battery (500 lumen HID vs 2x280 for the ayups?).