mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Ay Up vs Minewt or Sol Mate?

I know thereís a big thread below regarding Ay Up but I donítí have time to read all posts. So Iíll start a new thread here to break it down. Iím currently running the first generation of MiNewt and Sol Mate. Iím happy with them for the road. Doesnít cut it for the Trail. Will the Ay Up give me more brightness compared to the MiNewt or theh Sol Mate? Thanks in advance!

Do It Yourself
    If you don't mind a bit of soldering, you can swap out the light engine in your old lights. It would only cost about $25 for two SSC P4 and a tube of Arctic Adhesive. That would give adequate light for off-road riding. See here for details:

Cree a NIteRider Minewt? (picture)

I bought my P4s here:

5-pack of USXOH bin $23.50 shipped
    http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=2956

Single USXOH $5.50 shipped
    http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=2955
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyMan
    I know there’s a big thread below regarding Ay Up but I don’t’ have time to read all posts. So I’ll start a new thread here to break it down. I’m currently running the first generation of MiNewt and Sol Mate. I’m happy with them for the road. Doesn’t cut it for the Trail. Will the Ay Up give me more brightness compared to the MiNewt or theh Sol Mate? Thanks in advance!
    yes

The Ay Up is significantly brighter than both of those lights, it's much brighter than the second generation minewt (I've had 1st and 2nd genreation minewts) as well.

I just bought a set of Ay Ups this weekend, and raced them at the 12 hours of Temecula. I was very impressed. Not as bright as some of the DIY triple crees (or store bought triples), but they were bright enough that I couldn't outride my light, even bombing down jeep roads or the singletrack descents (which just weren't as fast as the jeep road). and the package is pretty complete. btw, I have the new ones with the CRE XRE P4s.

I'll try to post some beam shots after Wednesday's night ride.
    Last edited by singless; 11-19-2007 at 12:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks, I may consider this options. I may need to study this link to fully understand the extent of labor of swapping parts. I don't have problem sodering since I repair my headphones but I don't have any lighting experience.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by singless

I'll try to post some beam shots after Wednesday's night ride.
    Thanks! I would love to see the beam shots comparision.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Supposedly the shots on the Ay-Up site are very representative of the different beams. If the weather holds, I'll be doing my first ride with the Ay-Ups on Wednesday too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Supposedly the shots on the Ay-Up site are very representative of the different beams. If the weather holds, I'll be doing my first ride with the Ay-Ups on Wednesday too.
    I saw those images but I'm looking for a comparison shot between NR and Ay-up. Thanks though!

Do It Yourself
    I saw those images but I'm looking for a comparison shot between NR and Ay-up. Thanks though!

A shot of the Ayup vs. a Minewt.x2 dual would be a more appropriate comparison as the Ayup is a dual light. I bet they would be comparable.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks! I would love to see the beam shots comparision.
    I think you mean the difference? I think it will be huge difference and I'd like to see those shots too.
    Last edited by WAZCO; 11-20-2007 at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay guys, sounds like there are 2 of you here that owe us some pictures and ride reports on these lights. I think the kit sounds pretty cool, but I'm not sure if 280 lumens is enough...