Thread: ay up lights

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

ay up lights

what do people think of the ay up lights 08.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hows it goin
    what do people think of the ay up lights 08.
    I love my MTB Kit set! I finally got to take them riding with Kmac a few weeks ago. First time I've ever ridden. It had a kind of tunnel vision affect. I can't wait for the sun to go down now!

Primative Screwhead
    Quote Originally Posted by brain3278
    I love my MTB Kit set! I finally got to take them riding with Kmac a few weeks ago. First time I've ever ridden. It had a kind of tunnel vision affect. I can't wait for the sun to go down now!
    I've got the Enduro kit in narrow and intermediate beams.

Very light-weight and robust. Burn times are a little longer than advertised. Quite bright, but the spread of light is quite poor in comparison to a Halogen or a HID. Their beam spot is very, very narrow. I was asked: "Are they on?" by someone who was running a HID next to me. When I'm bombing down hill on a rocky singletrack, it sometimes feels like I'm chasing two bright balls of light down the track. They're great everywhere else, but a little scary at speed.

Having said all that, I've noticed that cars jam their brakes on when the beam spot goes through their windows

'd recommend getting a medium on the bars, as the intermediate isn't noticeably different than the narrow, and may in fact be a little dimmer!

F.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Feideaux
    I've got the Enduro kit in narrow and intermediate beams.

Very light-weight and robust. Burn times are a little longer than advertised. Quite bright, but the spread of light is quite poor in comparison to a Halogen or a HID. Their beam spot is very, very narrow. I was asked: "Are they on?" by someone who was running a HID next to me. When I'm bombing down hill on a rocky singletrack, it sometimes feels like I'm chasing two bright balls of light down the track. They're great everywhere else, but a little scary at speed.

Having said all that, I've noticed that cars jam their brakes on when the beam spot goes through their windows

'd recommend getting a medium on the bars, as the intermediate isn't noticeably different than the narrow, and may in fact be a little dimmer!

F.

I've got the Medium on the handlebars and the narrow on my helmet. I agree the beam is pretty narrow on both. I thing this works best for me though. Night riding has a sort of tunneled vision going through a pipe feeling. I find the narrow light gives me focused light far ahead. This helps me anticipate terrain and go faster.

Oh, and on the road I blind the shat out of people if I look at them. A friend and I had finished a night ride and the local Police were driving up to check on us. Looked at him to say hello and blinded the heck out of the guy. I don't think his car spot light or mag light could compete. LOL! nice guy though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Great lights but the hassles of ordering, poor support, and negligent shipping make this my absolute worst experience shopping for bike gear online. It is a real shame that they don't take their customer service as seriously as their product design. Reminds me other other companies in the past who have gone out of business in spite of excellent products.

So, if you can find the lights in your LBS buy them. Otherwise the benefits of the lights compared to the problems of dealing with the company don't make it worthwhile getting them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    For what it's worth (and note that this is just one person's opinion), dredging multiple old threads to complain about something isn't as credible as a relevant reply to an active thread or a new thread discussing your particular issue.
    Last edited by borrower; 06-26-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Enchanced civility, I hope.

help with the zip please
    and to add my 2c, from everything I have seen from my many friends that ride with ay ups, their customer support has been second to none, all the way up to their LED upgrade service. Well priced, well thought out by limiting the number they'll accept orders for on a weekly basis, and well executed. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these lights to any friend, except for the fact I can build brighter