Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Ay-up Cree upgrade. Any reports?

G'day everyone.

I'm pretty tempted to upgrade my Ay-up's for the new P4 Cree version.
    The cost is pretty reasonable.

http://www.ayup.com.au/

The thing is, the Luxeon Ay-up's are pretty good and it seems a pity to replace them if the difference isn't that significant.

Anyone able to comment on how much better the new lights are?

Cheers.
    ride your bike, ride, ride, ride...

Keep Riding !!
    The upgraded Ay-Ups wont begin delivery until the end of the week

However I got an e-mail to advise that they now have 3 beam patterns:

"We have just received a 3rd beam option which we feel could appeal to
    some people. This beam option named, Intermediate, has a hot spot and a
    spread about half way between the Narrow and the Medium optics.
    Please see the two attached documents."

They have some Beam Shots etc on their site http://www.ayup.com.au/ under 'New Products' bottom right on that horrible site of theirs

I've already ordered my updated lights and can't wait, I think they will be worth it
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Hey Aussierider - I ordered mine last week.I got the narrow for the helmet and medium for the bars. What do you think about the new intermediate option?

cheers
    Pagey

Keep Riding !!
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey
    Hey Aussierider - I ordered mine last week.I got the narrow for the helmet and medium for the bars. What do you think about the new intermediate option?

cheers
    Pagey

Hey Pagey

Thought hard about the new intermediate option but decided to stick with what I initially ordered being the same as yours narrow for the helmet & medium for the bars

The new intermediate option I thought may be good for commuting etc when you may only have the one light on the bars or helmet
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    any body heard much in the way of emails from the Ayup guys lately?

I placed an order last week,and have had teh paypal responses, then got the email about the beam option, which I responded to but I haven't heard a peep out of them otherwise.
    I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they're being run off their feet with the release of the new lights, but I was hoping to have heard from them somewhere along the line

Weekend Warrior
    I changed to intermediate on the bars and narrow on the bars. My reasoning was that, the luxeons had enough spread for me, and the intermeidate had a very simiIar beam pattern. I just wanted a bit more length on the beam.

mtbr member
    Got my Cree Ay-Ups today and I just got back from riding Lysterfield ST.
    One word - AWSOME

I went for the medium on the bars and narrow on the helmet and there was more than enough light to fly around as if it were a day ride.

I can't wait for the Subaru 12 Hour.

cheers
    Pagey

Weekend Warrior
    lucky bugger. mine must be in the post

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Cool. If Andrew sent them express post, I should hopefully receive mine tomorrow in time to test them for crits. I went for the same pair.

Unfortunately I buggered my knee at Chase The Sun so I won't be riding terribly fast as a comparison.

mtbr member

How about the "switch"

Anyone got info about the proposed switch?

Found a mate who wants to buy my old emitters, so it's all good.

Beam me up!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    bugger! I just got an email statingthat there ahd been some issues with the optics being damaged, intermediates would not ship till next monday and mediums not till september.

You lucky sod pagey!
    I went for the same beam option as kbryant, so with some luck I will see my lights next week.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Got mine today, went out and tested them when I got home. Rather than re-posting here, I'm going to direct you to the thread where I posted the images on the FullGasPromotions forums:

http://www.fullgaspromotions.com.au/...hp?p=6717#6717

mtbr member

Thinking about getting this kit!

akashra I am thinking of getting the endurance kit. How does this kit compare to an 13W HID?

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    The only difference between the endurance and regular kit (which I have) is the number of batteries/chargers etc. The head units are still the same.

I haven't used a HID before, but we're going to do a comparison tonight at the crits as there's a lot of people needing good lights before the 12 hour. I get the impression it'll be a cooler/softer light than a HID though.

Weekend Warrior
    I'm really impressed with my intermediate & narrow combo. I reckon it would have a similar output to a typical 13w HID setup, of course it's hard to compare with different beam patterns etc. THe Ayup regular kit with cree lightsets are 4 cree xre's driven at 500mA would be putting out around 600 lumens and most 13w HIDs put out around 600-650 lumens, so they should be quite similar. However, the AYUPs don't get hot, are extremely tough, the LEDs will outlast you and I, and the have two seperate lightsets (helmet & bar) so you get a better idea of depth on potholes. The AYUPs regular kit is 300 grams and you'll get 6hrs burn time courtesy of the 6hr bar light and the two 3hr helmet batteries.
    So the light output would be similar, but the other benefits of the AYUPs are what really sets this light system apart.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I tested the old and new side by side. There's a significant difference - the Cree are a lot brighter. I was already very happy with the Luxeons but in my view it's well worth the upgrade.

Cheers

HillBilly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    WOOHOO! my ayups just arrived, narrow for my helmet and intermediate for the bars.
    even with just the residual voltage in the batteries they are painfully bright in the daylight.
    I should have grabbed an extra charger though, but todays plan is to top the batteries off and hopefully get out and ride them tonight, its gonna be a long day at work.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Has anybody gotten these lights in the US? They sound very interesting and are pretty cheap, depending on freight and taxes. What beams would you all recommend for singletrack riding? The Narrow beam looks really bright and very narrow on their beamshots. Can anybody compare the output of the four LED's vs. a single HID? Even if the output is slightly less I think Ay up Has many advantages that make them a better choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HVskier
    Has anybody gotten these lights in the US? They sound very interesting and are pretty cheap, depending on freight and taxes. What beams would you all recommend for singletrack riding? The Narrow beam looks really bright and very narrow on their beamshots. Can anybody compare the output of the four LED's vs. a single HID? Even if the output is slightly less I think Ay up Has many advantages that make them a better choice.
    x2...i'm curious too...out of stock right now for the US version

mtbr member
    I ordered the upgrade lastnight, also going for the medium bar light and narrow on the lid.
    As usual, now I'm double guessing myself as to whether I should have gone for the intermediate beam for the bars.

Anymore opinions would be great.

Unfortunaely, if you look at the existing customer upgrade tab in the shopping cart section, it says the mediums are in stock. When I had a look under the specific tab later, noticed that they're out of stock.........oh well.

It would be intersting to be a real world comparison of the medium versus the intermediate beam patterns on the trail.

Take it easy and thanks for the replys.
    Mark.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I took mine out to the local xc track last night, narrow beam for the helmet and intermediate on the bars.
    well colour me impressed, enough light that my laptimes were almost equal to my daytime laps.
    I think i made the right call on going to the intermediate over the mediums, the brighter centre blends in nicely with the narrow beam to give a smooth light pattern in front of the bike. I had a friend follow me with a 20w halogen, and there was no shadow cast forward.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I raced with my Medium/Narrow set for the first time on Thursday, and certainly noticed a shadow. This however was good in a way since I knew when people were behind me. On the last lap they were drafting me, so I knew when I had to pick it up. Unfortunately that didn't quite work out the way it was planned though.

They were certainly brighter than the Luxeon AY UPs, but I felt like I had a candle when the guys with the Blaasts were around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I went for wide on the bars and narrow on the helmet and I am really impressed, glad I went with this combo - light everywhere!! Way better than the old Luxeon's and really I liked them.
    Awesome value for money and they look fabulous.

mtbr member
    Hi

Any further updates\ride reports on the cree lights?
    Cheers

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by toons101
    Hi

Any further updates\ride reports on the cree lights?
    Cheers
    Let me put it this way:
    One of my teammates did the following lap times at the 12hr during the day:
    Then, his first nighttime lap with a Medium+Narrow:
    1:02. Wait wait. That's a bit misleading - that's 1:02 with a puncture.
    Then he finished with a 49 (parked it for 7 minutes because I decided not to do a final lap).

His description was "it's like riding in daylight".

I did come across one problem though, with all the dust being kicked up, the Narrow was so bright it was like using high beams in fog - the light at times just got reflected straight back. It was also sometimes so bright it killed off the shadows, meaning you sometimes couldn't see definition in terrain. My other teammate actually completely missed a right-hand corner because of this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast