mtbr member

Ay-up alternative for Adventure Racers- Pro DIY

Quite a few of my adventure racing compatriots are talking about a bulk order of Ay-up lights.
    They're nice and small, with good helmet and headband mounts, but have poor software and regulation. Also not cheap.

The Night Lightning has a much better UI, is rugged and well supported, but it's big, and their batteries are expensive, $225 for a 2.2aH 14.8v.

The racers need something small and waterproof, in the 600-1000 lumen range with multi settings and a range of batteries, and good tech support. Ideally helmet mount with headband option for running.

My buddies have been jealous of my 1XML sled lights with L-flex, or my Quazzle triple light, and want to order something like that.
    Unfortunately I don't have the time to make a whole load of these, and I don't have a good supply of waterproof battery packs. I also can't do tech support for all of these, nor do I want the responsibility.

I've suggested Scar and his Amoeba, (backlogged right now I think) and also Ktronic's CNCdelite. This is the kind of thing they're looking for, a pro-build DIY light with good batteries and a reasonable price.

Is there a Trout light that would fit the bill too? Anyone else I'm missing?

Light freak
    Thanks for spreading the good word Ofroad'bent Just waiting on deliveries of LED's and I will be able to fire up the production line again.

I have the new 2x XP-G with the b2Flex driver that would be perfect for adventure racing. I also have some head bands in.

Should start offering up some lights in the classifieds here in about a week. Look for an upcoming update to my blog.

Jay

mtbr member
    I recently found out that Night Lightning has a rep in the USA now who sells full kits with light and battery for $329.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the plug off-road

We have re-branded...new website and soon to have more products.....

Name:  hero-home.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  91.3 KB

http://www.klite.com.au

On my bike I ride shimano XT or XTR... so I like to have XT quality lights...night lighting, radical-lights, troutie and klite are all XT quality lights

If you ride shimano Alivo or deore, then you would be probably happy with magicshine... Everyone has different tastes, and budgets....if you looking for a weight weenie light, for 24hr racing, then klite is a great option...

be sure to check out the 'klite specs compaired to Ayup' page.

K
    Last edited by ktronik; 05-29-2011 at 01:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    I recently found out that Night Lightning has a rep in the USA now who sells full kits with light and battery for $329.
    I see I forgot the link.
    www.xcleds.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You should look at LEDgend Lights too they make some very good and small lights and are able to customize them for your requirements http://www.ledgendlights.co.uk. They've also just started doing a new triple Ay-up alternative for Adventure Racers- Pro DIY-dsc00800.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by allport View Post
    You should look at LEDgend Lights too they make some very good and small lights and are able to customize them for your requirements http://www.ledgendlights.co.uk. They've also just started doing a new triple Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00800.JPG 
Views:	460 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	618829

Any more details on this one?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It uses the LUX-RC triple driver and will work with all of them so the output can be tailored to suit. The price is 195 for the standard unit which includes the light, both helmet and bar mounts, battery, battery bag, extension cable and charger. When using the 1100 lumen driver the burn time on high is 3 hours.

mtbr member
    I see Jay has some of the multi-level "New Flavours" on his blog now.
    http://amoebalight.blogspot.com/

The 2X XPG or the 2X XM-L would both be great Adventure Race or orienteering lights, if you can rig up a decent headband.

I know Jay can supply bigger battery packs with longer cables too.