mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Auto-illuminating bike light.

Hey All, hope you are having a great Monday. My name is John, I live in Northern California (Arcata) and am an avid cyclist (mainly mountain).

I wanted to share my kickstarter project with you all, its a light with an accelerometer and a smart algorithm to automatically adjust light brightness.

Check it out here, Xlerad, Auto-illuminating Smart Bike Light

Hope you can all check it out and possibly support the project! You can post questions here and i'll try to answer them in a timely manner.

Hope you all have a great week, and happy turkey day!

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Guys that is a great idea and a fantastic light. Well done. I know a mate that this would be perfect for

mtbr member
    1000lm? Warm white?
    You need to recalibrate your integrating sphere.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    May 2005

mtbr member
    Scenario here

I have your light on my MTB and am speeding down a singletrack with it on full
    when I need to slow for a very technical section the light senses I have slowed and dims just when I need maximum light for the section .

how have you overcome this

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Vancbiker Sounds like there are quite a few dissatisfied backers in that project. Hard to say if patent problems held it up, manufacturing let him down or is just disorganized or overwhelmed but his website says delivery in January 2014

I always remember a saying, multiply the estimated cost by 3 and estimated time by 2 and you will be close. Being an automation engineer I can fully agree with this, especially the time part.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Re: brad72

So a few things.
    1. Slowing down = deceleration, which will make the light brighter.
    2. The 3 axis accelerometer weighs the Z axis (up and down) higher in comparison. So the program cancels out noise (such as small bumps)- but also can tell the difference between noise and technical sections.
    3. Basically Xlerad is capable of logging the 3 dimensional acceleration vector over time which provides amazing insight as to what the riding conditions are.
    4. Also, the ramp-down is over a longer period of time compared to the ramp up. It will not dim down on you fast if you are still moving.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72 View Post
    Vancbiker I always remember a saying, multiply the estimated cost by 3 and estimated time by 2 and you will be close. Being an automation engineer I can fully agree with this, especially the time part.
    You're right on the mark. I believe that most of the "blue sky dreamer/inventor" types have no clue as to the real cost in money and time to actually build an item in quantity.

Concept wise this light may sound cool, but I believe it will not perform ideally in all situations. The quick read through I did mentioned an accelerometer as the primary sensor. In a fairly steady state condition (ie. no significant acceleration/deceleration) does the light gradually dim? If so, might not be real handy on a fast fire road descent. Slowing for a tech section and getting brighter is good. Slowing cause you caught up to your buddies at a stop and getting brighter is the opposite what it should do. One could go on and on inventing scenarios and how to deal with them when the solution for me lies under my right thumb most of the time, a remote switch.

Carbon8er
    I applaud your technical ability, that stuff is really cool

But it breaks my favorite rule, (besides Murphy's law)
    KISS - Keep it simple stupid

All that extra electronics is just more stuff to break

Also, it does not look all that bright to me compared to the simple XML Marwi lights I build running at 2.8 amps

Looks like a Magic Shine light to me and they are not all that bright

I have to agree with the thumb switch statement above.
    Simple and effective

I could be wrong
    Lets wait and see how your project pans out 6 months or a year from now

mtbr member
    sounds like fun, but as I think I wrote in another thread, I'd much rather have a light with a small wireless remote, so I can choose when I want the light brighter or dimmer depending on the circumstances. If someone could make a remote for $50-60 (especially if dual channel) I'd be all over it.

This light, not really my cup of tea, but good luck on the campaign!