mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Anyone use a PDA?

I have a PDA with a GPS reciever I used for a former job, it now served use as an (Ipod?) Apple can suck it! Anyway, its usually with me on my bike trips anyway, I figured i may be able to make use of the GPS. Is anyone else using one? What software? Mine is an HP Ipaq running Windows Mobile 5.

mtbr member
    I don't use a pda - but I know of a few softwares that you might want to look into:

http://www.oziexplorer3.com/ozice/oziexplorerce1.html

http://www.fugawi.com/web/products/pathaway.htm

http://www.memory-map.com/index.html

Good luck!
    Crankfire.com / New Englandish Mountain Biking Community

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BlurredVision
    I have a PDA with a GPS reciever I used for a former job, it now served use as an (Ipod?) Apple can suck it! Anyway, its usually with me on my bike trips anyway, I figured i may be able to make use of the GPS. Is anyone else using one? What software? Mine is an HP Ipaq running Windows Mobile 5.
    I'd be concerned that the PDA might not last very long even when placed in a suitable bike mount. That said, if it's just gathering dust on a shelf, then give it a go!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the replies. Ive seen bike mounts for them and its survived pretty decent beatings although I wouldnt used it on more demanding physical singletrack rides, mostly on easier but longer trail rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I recently acquired an ipaq with gps and tomtom for an upcoming trip to Europe, mostly for when we are in the car. (And for email, music etc). I will be doing some riding there in Slovenia and Switzerland, and I've thought about putting OziExplorer on it to try it out.

Not sure how I would carry it on the bike. I also got a spare battery, but if I was to use it more for bike use, I'd look at hooking up an external battery, possibly from lightset.

bumble
    I use my PDA as a GPS for riding. I keep the PDA in my pack and look at it when I need to. I ride a lot of singletrack so I do not want it on my bars anyway. I am using the iBlue 737 receiver (bluetooth) which is turning out to be a great receiver. I searched around a lot and I am using Back Country Navigator for software. It is inexpensive ($30), is constantly being updated with new, user-requested features, it is reliable, and all the maps for it are free. Also, I get topo maps for it AND hi-res aerial photo maps. I could not find a better, more well supported software. Other software I tried had very poor customer/technical support.
    To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I tried backcountry, im actually using it now. only trouble im having is that even at high res level the images are not as nice as googlemap pda version. I can see all the single track very clearing on google maps. I installed google map which would work great besides that it requires a wifi signal to run.

is there a way to overlay google maps on to back country? I am using an IPAQ rx5195

bumble
    So googlemap does not work without WiFi?
    Also, does googlemap have all the topographic maps like Back Country Navigator? If it does then I must check it out!
    BCN gets its maps from Terraserver. I don't think there is a way to overlay them. BCN maps are already calibrated when downloaded. Are the googlemaps already calibrated?
    To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yeah cant download google maps. no topical from what I can tell, but I just want the sat view they have, the images are so much clearer than BCN's

BCN's not bad though

bumble
    I do find that I use the topo maps a lot. When I am hiking or backpacking, and also when I am mt biking I like to be able to look at the topo maps. I grew up with them, and I like the info they present. For me there is no substitute. The aerial maps for me are a supplement to the topos.

One thing, though, the topos do not show the mt bike trails. I do find that the BCN aerials show me all the singletrack where I am going, so I use mostly the aerials when I ride certain places. I will have to check out the googlemap aaerials.