mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Anyone upgrade a Trinewt ?

I was wondering if anyone had done an LED upgrade for a Niterider Trinewt. I was hoping I might be able to just change the LEDs and leave the driver and wanted to know what a good upgrade would be that would require a minimum of alterations.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

I

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I haven't seen a trinewt upgrade thread, can't help there.

Here's what I can see though - NR quoted 486lumen - for a 3-emitter light by today's standards, that's way low, obviosly why you want to upgrade. But for a decent light if it is still operational - I'm not sure I'd tear into it.

Main reasons I'd leave it alone (gasp!) - No telling what emitters are in it, and the optic is custom. I'm guessing old XR-E's or Seoul P3's - run at a pretty low amperage to extend battery and keep heat down. If, and this is a big if, you could replace just the emitters with something like XPG2's, you'd probably only get ~600-650 lumen cause again, I bet the driver is only running @ 750-800ma. It's going to be a delicate task - my guess is that the driver is integrated onto the board or heatsink.

Now if you wanted to gut the housing, install your own driver, optic, and everything else, and the light wasn't currently working: I'd say have fun, post pics.

but you asked for the least you could do, and for my time, the outcome and effort just isn't worth it if the light runs fine as is.

edit - also, for what a Magicshine XM-L clone sells for on ebay (~$45 shipped), you'd spend twice that on new emitters, drivers, switches, optics, etc upgrading the 'newt.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    I haven't seen a trinewt upgrade thread, can't help there.

Here's what I can see though - NR quoted 486lumen - for a 3-emitter light by today's standards, that's way low, obviosly why you want to upgrade. But for a decent light if it is still operational - I'm not sure I'd tear into it.

Main reasons I'd leave it alone (gasp!) - No telling what emitters are in it, and the optic is custom. I'm guessing old XR-E's or Seoul P3's - run at a pretty low amperage to extend battery and keep heat down. If, and this is a big if, you could replace just the emitters with something like XPG2's, you'd probably only get ~600-650 lumen cause again, I bet the driver is only running @ 750-800ma. It's going to be a delicate task - my guess is that the driver is integrated onto the board or heatsink.

Now if you wanted to gut the housing, install your own driver, optic, and everything else, and the light wasn't currently working: I'd say have fun, post pics.

but you asked for the least you could do, and for my time, the outcome and effort just isn't worth it if the light runs fine as is.

edit - also, for what a Magicshine XM-L clone sells for on ebay (~$45 shipped), you'd spend twice that on new emitters, drivers, switches, optics, etc upgrading the 'newt.....
    Actually, they are all clones of the Lupine Tesla, including the magicshine. I don't like MS getting credit for the design.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you know - I had never paid attention to that. Lupines were always so far out of the price range of anything I was considering, I never kept up with them.

mtbr member
    take the light apart and take a picture of the LEDs and driver board (probably blue or green, with components on it). You can get XM-Ls dirt cheap now ($4 or so if you're not picky) which will match fairly well the optic they used, especially as NR was mostly P4 LEDs around that time. The LEDs are probably being driven at 0.8-1A (Minewts are 1A), which would equate to 700-900lm, give or take.

It'll be quite a job, as NR tend to use a bespoke LED mounting system, but it's potentially doable if you have the gumption. NR uses good batteries too, so it'd be great to see an old light get a new lease of life.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    There was a thread about doing this a while ago. I have a TriNewt, so i'd be curious how it all works out.
    Upgrading a Trinewt light

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have an old Trinewt which I'd like to upgrade, so I'm also interested to see what others have done. If I upgrade mine I'll post some pictures here.

-Mark.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just did this. Upgraded with SSC U bins. Not too tough. I made the mistake of using conducting heat sink compound the first time I reassembled. I had to clean it out and replace with the white non-conducting type. Works fine. I don't have any equipment to do measurements with so I have no idea how much output increased. But since I've done this with every minewt I own, I figured I do the trinewt too.