Bigger is better!
    May 2005

Anyone try XP-G w/MC-E optics?

And Boom-SS in particular.

My rationale is this:
    If XG-G w/XP-E optics creates wider beams, because the XP-E has a smaller die, then XP-G w/MC-E optics might create a narrower beam, since the MC-E die(s) are bigger..?

If XP-G + BoomSS would create a similar beam as on the MC-E but with a little better throw/narrower spot, I am sold.

mtbr member
    Yes and no

I have tried a boom ss but only in daylight on a piece of paper holding it ove the xpg.
    I need some blutack to hold it so I can get pics .

it is hyper critical on positioning to get a beam so no results yet

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Exciting! I would think the positioning is indeed critical..

You won't even share your initial impressions?

What I would love to see is a comparison pic vs MC-E towards a white wall etc, to see both the spill and hotspot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    Exciting! I would think the positioning is indeed critical..

You won't even share your initial impressions?

What I would love to see is a comparison pic vs MC-E towards a white wall etc, to see both the spill and hotspot.

Cant share initial impressions cos have none yet and will need to wait for dark to have a proper go . will do a ceiling shot tonight

cant compare to an mce though

but can compare to a 10 mm carclo 10417

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb

but can compare to a 10 mm carclo 10417
    Ceilingshots vs 10417 would be awesome!

I'll grab my popcorn and wait

A waste of time it is is
    C'mon Troutie, draw your bloody curtains man.......please

mtbr member
    I had the same thought! Unfortunately I am still waiting for my stuff to arrive from Cutter. I would also love to see the beamshoot comparison.

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    C'mon Troutie, draw your bloody curtains man.......please
    OK here is the line up From left to right

carclo narrow 10417 - carclo eliptcal - ledil lisa ( a lisa 2 is soon to be released ) - mce boom ss - ledil iris - DX xre torch reflector - ledil xre optic needs identifiing

tape on the ceiling is 1 metre each way and distance from led to ceiling is 2 metres exactly

pics are from left to right in the line up

and just balanced on the led to give the best I could get so with care and attention better may be achievable

Last edited by troutie-mtb; 11-13-2009 at 12:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Troutie, can you give us the definition of the optics? I think I know what each is, but I'm not really 100% sure on all of them. It appears that none of the 10mm optics are that great, and the Boom actually looks better than I thought it would be. As expected the largest optic focuses the best.

It would be awesome if someone comes out with some tight 10mm class optics. I'll keep hoping for it.

mtbr member
    excellent! here`s a link for the last optic (xr-e).... i think its the best one considering its not even a spot and its way smaller than the iris
    http://www.ledil.com/datasheets/DataSheet_LC1.pdf
    Last edited by HEY HEY ITS HENDO; 11-13-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Well if you're looking for the tightest spot, the Iris does it for me. Excellent work Troutie, thanks very much for all the trouble you have been going to recently to produce comparative beam shots.

Regards,

OTH

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ledil has an XP-G specific optic in the same size as the LC1. It's the LXP and the RealSpot is +/- 5.5degrees. I think that is about as tight as is available onthe XP-G.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vroom9
    Ledil has an XP-G specific optic in the same size as the LC1. It's the LXP and the RealSpot is +/- 5.5degrees. I think that is about as tight as is available onthe XP-G.
    I actually posted a query about using the CXP Real Spot (which I think is the same as the LXP but square) with a 10mm XP-G but no-on has answered yet. Do you think the XP-G on a 10mm MCPCB would work with the LXP?

Regards,

OTH

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Great work, Trout!

Just one follow-up question if I may:
    Does the BoomSS give similar spill as it does on the MC-E? It's hard to tell from the pic...

Based on these pictures, I think a 2 x XP-G/BoomSS is my next helmet light.

Thanks for the effort!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    Great work, Trout!

Just one follow-up question if I may:
    Does the BoomSS give similar spill as it does on the MC-E? It's hard to tell from the pic...

Based on these pictures, I think a 2 x XP-G/BoomSS is my next helmet light.

Thanks for the effort!

What you probably want is one of these

twinned with a boom

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vroom9
    It's actually not xp-g specific...they just took their xp-e optic and changed the angles in their docs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTheHill
    I actually posted a query about using the CXP Real Spot (which I think is the same as the LXP but square) with a 10mm XP-G but no-on has answered yet. Do you think the XP-G on a 10mm MCPCB would work with the LXP?

Regards,

OTH
    I have a complete set of the lxp and cxp optics. The lxp RS has a better looking spot where as the cxp is slightly square and not as smooth. I personally couldn't tell if either was brighter for the actual spot but the cxp has slightly more spill.

I also compared the xr-e crs SS optic vs the cxp SS optic in the same holders and the cxp looked better. They use the same form factor so you can switch them between housings with ease.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3
    I have a complete set of the lxp and cxp optics. The lxp RS has a better looking spot where as the cxp is slightly square and not as smooth. I personally couldn't tell if either was brighter for the actual spot but the cxp has slightly more spill.

I also compared the xr-e crs SS optic vs the cxp SS optic in the same holders and the cxp looked better. They use the same form factor so you can switch them between housings with ease.
    Kan I think he wants to know about physically fitting the optic onto the 10mm MCPCB.
    It may be doable but you'd need to hack the optic holder... the +/- pads are close to where the optic base clips around the LED. Also you would need to put some RTV or something down outside the MCPCB to support the optic. I briefly looked at it a few weeks back but thought it would be too tricky. And XP-Gs are cheap.

mtbr member
    What you probably want is one of these
    Forgive my denseness Troutie but which lens is that? The image doesn't match any of the originals posted but the beam seems closest to the Iris.

Regards,.

OTH

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Forgive my denseness Troutie but which lens is that? The image doesn't match any of the originals posted but the beam seems closest to the Iris.

Regards,.

OTH
    What he said! I fear that it is a tad over 20mm diameter..

mtbr member

Regards,.

OTH

Sorry OTH that is my twisted mind giving a taster but no info

it is the Khatod aspheric in a 20 mm holder

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    Kan I think he wants to know about physically fitting the optic onto the 10mm MCPCB.
    It may be doable but you'd need to hack the optic holder... the +/- pads are close to where the optic base clips around the LED. Also you would need to put some RTV or something down outside the MCPCB to support the optic. I briefly looked at it a few weeks back but thought it would be too tricky. And XP-Gs are cheap.
    The cxp is actually the optic that is designed for a 10mm pcb as it has its wiring "gaps" right next to the die mount. The lxp has its gaps near the end of it's plastic mount and works out well for a 20mm pcb setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry OTH that is my twisted mind giving a taster but no info

it is the Khatod aspheric in a 20 mm holder

Is it this model for the cree?

http://www.khatod.com/cms/kepl207090...849-28673.html

I'm trying to find someone else that sells these besides cutter but I'm failing right now. Cutter is usually way over priced on lens so I know I can find them cheaper somewhere else.

mtbr member
    I have tried a few different optics that have been collecting dust in the parts bin and found that a Carclo 20mm optic designed for a Seoul p4 works quite well as a spot for an xpg.

First for comparison is the well known carclo 10417

and this is a carclo 10003

Cross is 1m x 1m and led is 2m from ceiling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bumphumper
    I have tried a few different optics that have been collecting dust in the parts bin and found that a Carclo 20mm optic designed for a Seoul p4 works quite well as a spot for an xpg.
    AH....Very Interesting!... I think I just decided to start writing some of this stuff down. It's getting too hard trying to remember what optic works best with what LED.

Whoa!...just thinking....is this the same optic that Dinotte uses on their 200L spot?..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice work guys, some of those spots seem way too tight if that's possible.
    I'm finding that on my current helmet light the beam is actually too tight for my tastes.
    I feel like I have blinders on sometimes. I'm willing to give up just a tad of throw for just a little more spread. Hopefully the extra lumens from the XPG's will make up for this.
    I'm curious what the outdoor beam shots will show on some of the better beams.
    Eric S

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bumphumper
    and this is a carclo 10003
    Wow - that's a nice one!

I think I have quite few of these lying around. Maybe the helmet light will turn out quite well

mtbr member

Khatod PL120808

Has anyone tried this optic with an xpg.....http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut865

It has a smaller diameter and lower stack height than the carclo/ledil xre optics and might just work.

If anyone has any laying about in their parts bin please give them a try and report your findings.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005

Boom SS: MC-E vs XP-G R5

Well, I finally have recieved some XP-Gs R5 bin, and I just did a shootout vs my MC-E 2S2P helmet light, both with a BoomSS reflector.

In all the pictures, the XP-G is the dimmer one. Both LEDs are driven @ 1A, so the MC-E gets twice as much power (500mA per die) as the XP-G:

For the last 3 pics, I tried as best as I could to have the same distance to the white surface as possible. The difference is maybe 1-2mm, but not more.

For the last picture I tried to dim down both LEDs to get more or less the same visual output, so their power consumption is not the same. (and neither is the light output I see now..)

As can be quite clearly seen, the XP-G has a slightly narrower and more defined hotspot. Which I think is good.

I'm going to build a dual XP-G Boom to see how it is in real life.

Members who have read this thread: 0