Randomhead
    Sep 2008

anyone try a Regina or lisa with Cutter round 10mm round mcpcb?

The holes in the center of the board are too small, and the cutouts on the circumference are too big for the legs on the Lisa or Regina optics that I have. I think I'm going to end up cutting off the legs. Bummed.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    nobody? What mcpcb is everyone using with the Regina? Or has everyone just cut the legs off?

Light freak
    I ordered mine on square 10mm square MCPCB's. The legs don't line up with these either. Had to cut them off. Pretty sure the MCPCB's were ordered long before the Regina reflectors were even designed. Maybe in the future. How about it Welight?

mtbr member
    I've some from ledt-tech

Perfect match, Not sure if I'm going to manage to solder those tiny pads..

mtbr member
    Bravellia those look good, I had great fun with these Long way round

It still looks like the solder blobs could raise the reflector though

One Gear
    Everything fits together great until there's a piece of wire and some solder in the way. Try to order a couple extra and file a notch in the bottom of the reflector.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty

It still looks like the solder blobs could raise the reflector though
    That is what I fear. But if you look close, the regina legs are a bit longer and when you set both parts the right way, the legs keep the regina slightly away from the PCB. It might be enough for the solder blobs, but....

Quote Originally Posted by .40AET
    ...file a notch in the bottom of the reflector
    That's my plan if everything else fails...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bravellir
    But if you look close, the regina legs are a bit longer and when you set both parts the right way, the legs keep the regina slightly away from the PCB.
    That is probably a result of the thickness of the MCPCB being less than Ledil designed around. Too bad their datasheet does not specify the position of the emitter relative to the reflector. I have found that positioning of the reflector or optic to have a big effect on beam quality.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    I have found that positioning of the reflector or optic to have a big effect on beam quality.

That is very true, the amount of led that goes inside the reflector changes dramatically the beam. I intend to sacrifice a Regina and do a few tests to see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Mine set directly on the MCPCB. (20mm star)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    Mine set directly on the MCPCB. (20mm star)
    I suspect that is the intention from Ledil.

I intend to sacrifice a Regina and do a few tests to see how it goes.
    Please post your results! I found that .25mm change in position makes a significant difference with a pelican headlamp reflector I modded.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    I suspect that is the intention from Ledil.

Please post your results! I found that .25mm change in position makes a significant difference with a pelican headlamp reflector I modded.
    Just looking at the Cutter site, how do you get the Regina to fit on a 20mm star? It is not shown with any holes that are anywhere near 10mm apart.

It also doesn't explain why the lisa has the same leg dimensions and doesn't fit on a 10mm star. It would be a little silly to have a 10mm lens and a 20mm star.

I see that the 10mm star is made for the "clip" version of the Lisa, which has a little wider spacing of the holes

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I took the legs off my Reginas

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    I took the legs off my Reginas
    I figured that out after I posted. I should be able to machine the holes or trim the legs a little and make it fit. The Cutter stars are preferable to the led-tech stars even though you probably need two feed holes through the housing for the Cutter version.

help with the zip please
    Has anybody found a suitable 20mm star to house a regina on an xpg?

Is this done without either cutting off the legs or grooving out the bottom of the regina for wires?

What is the verdict on the positioning of the regina in relation to the led/star to give optimal performance for a helmet light?

Cheers

help with the zip please
    Ok, I sent Ledil a customer enquiry about the positioning and got this reply

"Regina reflector should have bottom base part against pcb.

Are those holes in PCB now having dia.2.0mm and c/c dimension 8.6mm?
    (shown in datasheet Joni sent)
    If yes, assembly should work.

Please note also that Regina has long pins that are originally designed for fixing reflector to backside of PCB by heat staking pins flat."

The heat staking explains why they seem to sit high against most mcpcb's

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That is very true, the amount of led that goes inside the reflector changes dramatically the beam. I intend to sacrifice a Regina and do a few tests to see how it goes.
    Just received the same 8mm xp-g & regina combo in the post from Led-tech, as you showed in your photo, bravellier. I'd be pleased to hear of your experiment results and if you ended up notching the base of the regina? Any photos?

Thanks, Bobbl@

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobblehat
    Just received the same 8mm xp-g & regina combo in the post from Led-tech, as you showed in your photo, bravellier. I'd be pleased to hear of your experiment results and if you ended up notching the base of the regina? Any photos?

Thanks, Bobbl@

Made this single Regina with a Ledtech one and did notch out the reflector .
    was very easy with a small file .
    then put on the wires and glued on the regina before whacking a bit of AA on and placing it in the case . a lot easier than keyhole surgery with a hot iron

didnt take any pics at the time though

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks Troutie ...... what's the recommended glue type for the Regina to the 8mm Led-tech .... and where did you put the spots of glue .... on the two legs or a good general splodge all round? You can see I'm new to this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    Made this single Regina with a Ledtech one and did notch out the reflector .
    was very easy with a small file .
    then put on the wires and glued on the regina before whacking a bit of AA on and placing it in the case . a lot easier than keyhole surgery with a hot iron

didnt take any pics at the time though

I'm liking the little hex light Chris, did you machine it that shape? can we see some more pics please?

mtbr member

Thanks, Bobbl@
    I gave up on the 8mm xp-g. The solder tabs are tiny and beyond my soldering skills. I ripped off the tabs from the xp-g
    That project is on hold for now, but I think I'm going to use regular 20mm star xp-gs instead

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Aaaaaaarggg! I knew I should have gone 20mm for my first build!

Maybe I should practice with some dud pcb's I might have lying around with small components on them, then try with one Led only to see if I can do it!

Thanks for your honesty!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If the optic/reflector is 20 mm then you may as well use the same/similar sized pcb. Makes centering and soldering easier.

mtbr member
    Thanks Troutie ...... what's the recommended glue type for the Regina to the 8mm Led-tech .... and where did you put the spots of glue .... on the two legs or a good general splodge all round? You can see I'm new to this

Trusty silly cone for the glue and a good splodge all round and leave to dry .
    did need to clamp them together with having the wires on .

Jay just a standard bit of hex bar like Chelboed has used .

Sorry no more pics taken

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ODT: Yep! Obvious, aint it! I was torn between buying local (Europe) at 8mm, or buying global at 20mm. I thought the local option would be quicker ..... that was my first wrong assumption

The fact that the 8mm was supposed to fit the reginas perfectly also swung me that way .... if only I knew that I'd still have to notch the reflector, I'd have gone for the 20mm and cut the legs off the reflector instead! I should have taken the hint when YB said he nearly lost the will to live altering the regina!

Thanks Troutie .... these little details all help a newbie LED builder. I'd already started ordering the parts before your brilliant STW thread hit the big time and you started assembling the parts to promote the biggest mass DIY bike light build on the planet! Well Done Sir!

I look forward to meeting all those fellow CK/Troutie/Teapot/Hammond builders on the trails in the UK ..... How many are you supplying up to now?