mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Anyone mod 3x xml ebay light with task led?

I was going to do a 2x xml bar light but by the time I buy the leds amd make or buy a housing I am far ahead to buy the cheapy china light and a task led driver to drive it. I know the batteries are poop but I will be a nice project when done.

Anyone cracked open the 3 xml yet? The driver and reflector from the pics I have seen are stuck together.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    One thing to look at when considering those housings for mod purposes is how much surface area there is. Plan on a minimum of 1 sq. in. of surface area per Watt at the LEDs. That is the minimum I have found will keep the light cool with moderate airflow (8-10 mph).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am curious to see what they use for heat sinks. If I can use the space in there and beef up the hearsink.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The only thing you can do is improve the heat path to the housing. You still need exterior surface area to cool the light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have some ideas for cooling. Just have to get it open. Probably order it this week. Its snowing here so hard to say when I can get out.