mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Anyone making heatsink for the l-flex?

Man - little stuff like this makes me really wish I had a benchtop lathe, or a rotary mill.

I'm having trouble with thermal tape, to the point where I just don't trust it.

I am wondering if anyone makes a heatsink for the l-flex that would allow you to bond the driver to it with AA, without shorting out the leads on the bottom, so top diameter would be in the ~14mm, I suppose, and the base could be ~17 or whatever is easily done.

I'm betting I may not be the only one interested in a handful.

something along these lines is what i was thinking.

Anyone making heatsink for the l-flex?-slug.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    well, nevermind. George says it is best to use the whole bottom of the flex as a sink, so I'm back to square 1 with trying to get the thermal tape to work better.

On a silver-lining note, I spent most of the morning trying to figure out how to make that curved surface in the 3D modeling program, so not all was lost.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    On the lights that I have done with the Lflex, I have made the cavity that it fits into just deep enough for the thermal tape, the board, and another layer of the thermal tape. I put the thermal tape down, then the board (leads soldered then clipped near flush, then carefully filed flush) then 2 layers or thermal tape over the MCU. Then I screw the cover down. This puts everything in nice tight contact with the housing. I think it does a good job keeping the heat in an Lflex under control and since the heat sensing in the Lflex happens in the MCU it might help it respond a bit more accurately to housing temps.